Godawful cough

2 watchers
Feb 2012
9:46pm, 8 Feb 2012
5,094 posts
  •  
Footpad
2 weeks and I am still coughing too. Really nice a fruity. Makes my asthma 'jangle' too. Still tomorrow I will atempt a 5 miler and then Sunday a 9 mile slow run. Should set me up for Wokie Half! Hate this cough I felt really ill and had to take steroids to stop the wheeze. Hate taking them but they really do the job.

Hope all the phlegm dries up for everyone :-)
Feb 2012
9:23am, 9 Feb 2012
897 posts
  •  
auburnette
Mine's going but it has been almost 6 weeks. I still have the odd coughing/wheezing fit but better than it was.
Feb 2012
9:52am, 9 Feb 2012
183 posts
  •  
Tabasco
You know, it might have been whooping cough auburnette... Actually quite common in adults, you don't get the whoop sound but the cough goes on and on. The cough-till-you-vomit is quite suggestive for whooping cough. Not much else you can do though except wait till it goes!
Feb 2012
10:05am, 9 Feb 2012
88 posts
  •  
Curly45
Ahh I feel your pain. My cough was dreadful for about 10 days and I had to have 3 days off from training :(

I am finally getting over it but have pulled an intercostal muscle so now every time I do cough its pain central. Ouch!

I just want to feel like myself again, but slowly and surely I think that is happening. Ho hum.

Sorry to anyone else who is still sufferring :(
Feb 2012
10:53am, 9 Feb 2012
898 posts
  •  
auburnette
I pulled so many muscles that for a time I couldn't move without something hurting! Aaargh.

Tabasco, I wondered about whooping cough because of the retching/throwing up/suffocating noises. It did start out as a very chesty cough though, which doesn't sound so much like whooping cough.
Feb 2012
11:28am, 9 Feb 2012
184 posts
  •  
Tabasco
I think it can be chesty at the start. See here: patient.co.uk
Feb 2012
11:35am, 9 Feb 2012
89 posts
  •  
Curly45
I hope you havent got it! I've had that once as a child and it was terrifying...I was blue by the time I made it to hospital :o
Feb 2012
11:39am, 9 Feb 2012
900 posts
  •  
auburnette
Hmmm, some of those symptoms do look rather familiar.

The cough of 100 days! Oh God. *prays*

I've been able to do some very light exercise recently (dance class/walking up 8 flights) without toooo much coughing, on the positive side.
Feb 2012
10:34pm, 9 Feb 2012
49 posts
  •  
_2Jabs_
ive had this cough since 4th jan... i still have it a wee bit, but it changed from a severe chest infection to in the sinuses (or was that a 2ndry infection?) and now its just floating about me.. reason im saying 2ndry infection is i think the first cough cured with some antibiotics and i had a day gap between illness

my other half has had it since 18th Dec yet shes refusing to see the doc for some antibiotics.... everywhere just needs a right deep clean to get rid of the nasties!

whooping cough u make a crazy noise with. get your doc to check you out, perhaps it could be pneumonia (i was tested for it mid-jan)
Feb 2012
6:05pm, 19 Feb 2012
28 posts
  •  
Screeners
Hi, just been reading through some of the messages here and looking for some advice/thoughts.

I have also been suffering with recurring cough and chest infections since last October and am sick of it. Pulled a muscle from coughing so much which just added to the misery really. Just started running again now but I saw an article in runners world a few months ago which got me thinking. All last summer i was running home from work once a week, 8 miles of running along busy roads and dual carriageways on warm days. If I remember correctly, the article seemed to say something along the lines that doing that can seriously weaken your chest because of all the car fumes, pollution etc. Does anybody think this could be the reason I have had such a bad chest all winter? I was looking forward to starting running home again once the nights are a bit lighter but if it is the cause of 4 months of chest infections, I am not going to bother! What does anyone else think? I did go to GP by the way but he just said it has been a winter for chest infections which hasn't really got me any further forward....

Cheers

About This Thread

Maintained by auburnette
I've had a cough for over two weeks now. It came on after doing a 10 miler on 2nd Jan and has stopp...