Godawful cough

2 watchers
Jan 2012
4:35pm, 17 Jan 2012
4,354 posts
  •  
lammo
What Lyra said, i had similar issues over Christmas.
Jan 2012
10:55am, 24 Jan 2012
861 posts
  •  
auburnette
It's still hanging around. Almost a month now. The cough has improved (as in the coughing fits are more infrequent) but I've pulled a muscle :-( and every time I have a bad coughing fit I gag/vomit/feel like I'm suffocating. There's not so much mucus now but I am still swallowing a lot of air from the coughing - which obviously makes me gag/puke even more. I don't think it is a bacterial infection.

I cancelled my doctor's appt on Friday as I thought it was improving. Is there any point in making another one? Is there anything they can prescribe me to get rid of the suffocating feeling? The puking I can handle but it's really frightening not being able to breathe. I'm not asthmatic or anything.

*bit fed up as now behind on miles already, missed one race, haven't run since 2nd Jan, have now pulled a muscle etc etc*
Jan 2012
11:01am, 24 Jan 2012
19,051 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Sometimes after a chest infection your airways are left very irritable and overreactive. When this happens, your GP might prescribe you an inhaler of the type that's used to relieve asthma symptoms. Using a cough suppressant linctus is OK at this stage - the cough isn't serving any useful purpose.
Jan 2012
11:25am, 24 Jan 2012
862 posts
  •  
auburnette
Brilliant, thanks Vrap! I'll try a cough suppressant as first point of call.
Jan 2012
11:47am, 24 Jan 2012
38,782 posts
  •  
plodding hippo
Agree, worth popping along to the doc as vrap says
If you have had that flipping viral thing, well, I am now in week seven and FINALLY better
Jan 2012
11:51am, 24 Jan 2012
2,655 posts
  •  
leaguefreak
I am suffering vicariuosly - Mr LF is on week four of cough. And is waking me every night. (As are the kids but for their own reasons). I am neary psychotic with sleep deprivation. Himself does have what I call "man asthma" - he is officially diagnosed but never needed a preventer inhaler and sometimes has been known to go a week or more without using reliever. He's just finished a course of oral steroids (Pred 20mg od for the watching medics) and is now switched to a steroid inhaler. It's bloody torture. Sometimes he has been bad enough for me to consider sympathy - which is only one step from A+E in my caring world.
Jan 2012
11:54am, 24 Jan 2012
38,784 posts
  •  
plodding hippo
My patients are calling this bug the "Boomerang"

It will eventually go, but it really *is* 6-7 weeks(and Im not asthmatic)
Jan 2012
11:55am, 24 Jan 2012
2,656 posts
  •  
leaguefreak
I will tell him this - he is starting to get all emotional and hopeless on me, to the extent I am thinking of making him live in the shed so I can focus on the kids!
Jan 2012
11:58am, 24 Jan 2012
38,785 posts
  •  
plodding hippo
League freak
He has my utmost sympathy

It was only 10 days ago that I could not even run 2 miles without stopping to cough my guts up
Jan 2012
12:02pm, 24 Jan 2012
863 posts
  •  
auburnette
*stalks PH training log* but you've been running marathons!!!!

Suddenly I feel like I need to HTFU re: watford half on 5th feb...

About This Thread

Maintained by auburnette
I've had a cough for over two weeks now. It came on after doing a 10 miler on 2nd Jan and has stopp...