Godawful cough

2 watchers
Jan 2012
11:03am, 17 Jan 2012
859 posts
  •  
auburnette
I've had a cough for over two weeks now. It came on after doing a 10 miler on 2nd Jan and has stopped me running since (mainly because when I cough I can hardly breathe, and am short of breath the rest of the time). Now looks like it's gonna stop me from doing another 10 miler on Sunday.

I have a doctor's appointment on Friday (likely they will tell me to HTFU) but wondered if anyone else was going through this misery so we can wallow in it together?

*hacks up phlegm*
Jan 2012
11:06am, 17 Jan 2012
526 posts
  •  
Fellrunning
Doesn't sound good.

"Fires off flare to attract Vraps attention"
Jan 2012
11:52am, 17 Jan 2012
18,938 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Fellrunning, you git! I HATE being around people doing that koffkoffkoff thing. Does my head in good and proper :P

(Auburnette, your GP will probably listen to what you have to say, listen to your chest, and prescribe antibiotics because it's Friday. But unless you've got pneumonia or a flare-up of asthma, it's mostly a matter of time and patience and, yes, finding fellow-sufferers to talk about phlegm with.)
Jan 2012
11:55am, 17 Jan 2012
1,270 posts
  •  
jacko
just get out and run and enjoy ( might even do you good ) :)
Jan 2012
11:58am, 17 Jan 2012
7,165 posts
  •  
James1982a
I'm at the tail end of mine now. It's all but gone. I had two and a half weeks off from running. Change in temperature seems to set it off for me when I think it's gone. I only coughed twice when I got in from my run today so making progress :-)
Jan 2012
3:05pm, 17 Jan 2012
860 posts
  •  
auburnette
I think mine is still too chesty to run, I can't imagine running when it feels like my lung capacity has been reduced (and I get scared of the coughing fits - yesterday I coughed so much it made me sick and I thought I was going to faint).

Is this likely to be contagious given I've had it for so long? I want to kiss my SO but I'm afraid of giving him the cold! Although maybe he doesn't want to kiss me after all the hacking and talk of phlegm...
Jan 2012
3:09pm, 17 Jan 2012
38,596 posts
  •  
plodding hippo
I never have chest issues, but am only justgetting over a cough
I am in the sixth week of being ill, up until a few days ago could not run moe than a mile without coughing

was sick lots too have have pulled all the muscles in my back

some nasty bugs around

it does eventually get better

no anti bs here
Jan 2012
3:09pm, 17 Jan 2012
392 posts
  •  
Dirt Monkey
I had the cough and ran during it. It ended up worse and eventually fractured/cracked my rib from the violent coughing fits. I wish i had just stayed in and not run. You want my advice, fek running for abit and just wait till its gone
Jan 2012
4:25pm, 17 Jan 2012
3,866 posts
  •  
Lyra OK
Yep, sounds like whatever laid me off running for a fortnight.

Ran gently in the early stages, because have found this can help with a mild cold. When I started to struggle at 10 m/m pace, I figured my body’s priority was getting the virus shifted. Definitely don’t run if the virus goes to your chest – I felt wheezy and my lungs felt yucky when breathing. I’m not entirely sure of the medical reasons behind not running with a chest cold, but learned enough to frighten me out of attempting it.

Glad I chose to rest up, because six days after resuming exercise, I seem fine, don’t feel I’ve lost much and have probably saved myself a longer lay-off if I’d tried to run through it.

After taking advice, I chose not to start running again until my resting heart rate returned to normal. Used the treadmill for the first few days, because some slight wheeziness returned after a run in cold weather. Still taking things easy, but am definitely back now.

Pretty annoying, but them’s the breaks and there’s nothing you can do about it other than look after yourself, wait for the virus to run its course and plan your comeback.

Get well soon!
Jan 2012
4:26pm, 17 Jan 2012
11,128 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
It won't be contagious.
Get snogging.

About This Thread

Maintained by auburnette
I've had a cough for over two weeks now. It came on after doing a 10 miler on 2nd Jan and has stopp...