Welcome To Fetcheveryone

Our awesome training log doesn't hide its best features behind a paywall. Search thousands of events, get advice, play games, measure routes, and more! Join our friendly community of runners, cyclists, and swimmers.
Click here to get started
Already a Fetchie? Sign in here

GNR then Chester Marathon - Is this feasible for me?

1 watcher
May 2013
2:15pm, 20 May 2013
5 posts
Lemmiwinks
Hi everyone

I am hoping to draw from the knowledge and experience of you all to help me make a decision.

I am taking part in the GNR in September. I did it for the first time last year. I got around in just under 2:15 quite comfortably. It would be more like 2:05 if the course had been empty :o) I am giving it another bash this year and feel confident that I will be fine. However, I also have an eye on the Chester Marathon. This would be my first ever attempt at this distance.

The question is: Am I trying to take on too much here? Would the GNR really fit in to a sensible training plan? Should I leave the Marathon for another day? I am running the GNR for charity this year (personal place and fundraising off my own back) and would like to double up to try and raise more funds.

I am currently doing about 14 miles a week and will be increasing this in prep for the GNR in the near future.

Any wise words of advice and thoughts on this would be really appreciated.

Thank you :o)
May 2013
2:34pm, 20 May 2013
3079 posts
Pestomum
What are the dates for the races?
May 2013
2:34pm, 20 May 2013
4986 posts
becca7
Hi. I think that there are three weeks between these races and that is enough time to recover from GNR. However your weekly mileage at the moment is quite low for somebody thinking of running a marathon. Have a look at a training plan for a novice marathon (e.g. Hal Higdon or, if you prefer a bit more cross training, FIRST) and see how much of a step up it would be. For an 18 week marathon plan for Chester I think that you would be looking at starting training in early June i.e. pretty soon.

There will be other training plans that allow for doing a marathon off a low mileage starting base but I think you will have a better experience if you wait until next spring or autumn.
May 2013
2:38pm, 20 May 2013
339 posts
Craig_
Hi Lemmi,

Probably best to have a look at some online training plans for the marathon - they will show typical frequencies and distances for weekly runs. Theoretically it is possible but you would probably start training for the marathon now and incorporate the GNR half into it. Most plans will show a gradual increase of your weekly total distance and weekly long run distance getting up to near-marathon distance a couple of weeks before the race. It depends whether you feel this is achievable from your current position in the time...?

You could always give it a go and see what happens... just listen to the body and the training's not really going harm you GNR run. :)
May 2013
2:51pm, 20 May 2013
6 posts
Lemmiwinks
Funnily enough becca7 I was planing to get the Hal Higdon book tomorrow as I have heard many positive comments about it.

It is three weeks between runs Pestomum. At the moment my long run is at 7 miles with two shorter run in the week.

The main reason of looking at Chester (Oct 6) is that it is meant to be a good first-timers course. So far you have given me a few good pointers and a bit of food for thought!

Got something to say?

To contribute to the discussion, you need to either sign in or register as a user.

About This Thread

Maintained by Lemmiwinks
Hi everyone

I am hoping to draw from the knowledge and experience of you all to help me make a de...