Gluten free carbs

5 watchers
Oct 2013
2:19pm, 5 Oct 2013
14,856 posts
  •  
DeeGee
I'm not much in the habit of carb-loading, these days. However, I've retained the ritual for key races.

Reason I've dropped it is because I've always suffered from my guts during races when putting in a decent effort. However, I lso worry that I can't put in a decent effort without carb-loading, so it's a vicious circle.

I'm going to play about with the medium and I was thinking that gluten might potentially be an issue, so I'm going to have a go with low gluten carb-loading. Tonight's tea will contain potatoes and root vegetables, but that's quite early so as to eat with the boy. I'm needing to think about potentially a snack later on and of course, breakfast - traditionally white baked goods for me so as to introduce stodge and prevent trots, but not stopping cramps.

Any suggestions?
Oct 2013
3:06pm, 5 Oct 2013
2,102 posts
  •  
Curly45
Oats are good

You can have quinoa also I think, rice is a good option. You can also make bread with gluten free flour (or buy it but its tres expensive).

I would suggest though that gels or other sugar could be causing your race day stomach issues. If you believe you cant eat gluten then you should get tested for ut as its likely to cause other problems too, such as low vitamin take up.
Oct 2013
3:08pm, 5 Oct 2013
2,886 posts
  •  
Wobbling
My mate who is gluten intolerant swears by risotto for carb loading. Not great for breakfast tho.
Oct 2013
3:17pm, 5 Oct 2013
14,863 posts
  •  
DeeGee
Sugar's an odd one. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. Part of the "elimination" process has involved finding in-race carbs that work, and I'm almost there now. I've had the issue on no gels at all, though.

And part of the problem is muscular - I just haven't worked my core enough.

I've got 18 months or so before I try for GFA again so I'm happy to try all manner of options.
Oct 2013
4:18pm, 5 Oct 2013
1,064 posts
  •  
Tarahumara
I make rice pudding, halve the sugar in any recipe, works a treat for me. You can have it for breakfast too :-)
Oct 2013
4:24pm, 5 Oct 2013
10,520 posts
  •  
Ultracat
I generally have eggs with gluten free toast before long runs and I have found having the protein means I don't have the empty stomach feeling after a couple of hours of running.

Popcorn is good for an evening snack, easy to make yourself.
Jan 2017
8:52am, 12 Jan 2017
838 posts
  •  
AntClark
Might be helpful for this thread and I hope you don't mind me popping in and posting. I have just launched a Gluten Free nutrition box and collection search on XMiles for race nutrition. We Would be interested in what you think? And if you do like anything and want to get one use this link Link to XMiles.co.uk or the links at the bottom of the fetcheveryone home page and then fetch will earn a little £'s too. Plus code 'Fetch15' will give you 15% off first order

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by DeeGee
I'm not much in the habit of carb-loading, these days. However, I've retained the ritual for key r...