Gluten and Dairy-Free Fetchies

18 watchers
Mar 2022
4:33pm, 23 Mar 2022
5,684 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
Just in case anyone is interested Angelic (who do lovely sweet and savoury biscuits that are gf and dairy free amongst other things are offering 50% off to anyone who completes their survey: us1.list-manage.com
Mar 2022
4:50pm, 23 Mar 2022
9,028 posts
  •  
GordonG
Thanks LMH 😀
Mar 2022
5:10pm, 23 Mar 2022
713 posts
  •  
ageingtractor
My OH was diagnosed coeliac 30 odd years ago. As mentioned already things have moved on considerably in the time. Generally we cook from fresh ingredients which I appreciate is not practical for everybody.

Not sure who is a member of Coeliac UK but their booklet has proved useful and is regularly updated to show brands and products that are gf. Very useful when manufacturers suddenly change recipes, recent examples being Marmite, some Cadburys chocolate. They also provide a food checker app for members. The website also provides some useful info.

In terms of beers she tends to go with Daura or g/f Peroni. For low alcohol then the majority of Big Drop Brewing Co beers are g/f.
Mar 2022
6:24pm, 23 Mar 2022
8,548 posts
  •  
Northern Exile
Thanks for that LMH, much appreciated.
Mar 2022
12:17pm, 28 Mar 2022
9,035 posts
  •  
GordonG
anyone with a gluten (or any other) allergy been to Wagamama's recently? If you mention that you've got an allergy or intolerance then it's in their rules that the waiter has to send the manager over, who goes through everything on the menu with you before you order. This is going to sound mean (because they're only looking after their customers*) but it's such a fuss that, having gone through it twice in the past 6 months, it's put me off going back there. It almost feels like i'm undergoing some kind of medical examination!!

I went to a different restaurant recently and I just asked if a particular item had gluten in, and the waiter stopped taking my order and rushed off to find a list of allergens in each item (though, strangely, the list was in an unbelievably small font and I was in a dimly lit room so I could barely read it!). Again, it made me feel uncomfortable and I think from now on I'll just not ask.

*the cynic in me thinks they're also doing it just to make sure they don't get sued
Mar 2022
5:05pm, 28 Mar 2022
33,287 posts
  •  
Mrs Jigs (Luverlylegs)
. *the cynic in me thinks they're also doing it just to make sure they don't get sued

I would imagine you are correct in your thinking.
Mar 2022
11:07am, 29 Mar 2022
8,573 posts
  •  
Northern Exile
I had a similar situation recently: I was out walking around RHS Harlow Carr and we stopped for a cuppa at the Betty's outlet they have there. I asked for oat milk in my coffee and was asked specifically if it was because of intolerance or preference. I answered intolerance and wish I hadn't, because a major inquisition followed. I won't in future, that's for sure.

I also think that Gordon is correct in his thinking.
Mar 2022
11:43am, 29 Mar 2022
41,877 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Has this topic come up previously? "Real" dairy products from non-animal sources? Precision fermentation from yeast to produce milk, effectively the same as cow's milk, but with no cow!

Would that still cause those who are lactose intolerant the same medical reactions?

But for those of us for whom it is an ethical consideration, it seems really good?

theveganreview.com

:-) G
Mar 2022
11:51am, 29 Mar 2022
8,574 posts
  •  
Northern Exile
I don't know. For those of use who are intolerant (not just lactose intolerant), I suppose the only way to be sure would be via a proper test. Personally, dairy is the highest on the list of my intolerances and I wouldn't risk it without being sure.
Nov 2022
8:42am, 27 Nov 2022
27,192 posts
  •  
Lizzie Whizz
Hanneke

About This Thread

Maintained by Northern Exile
A discussion forum on the curse that is gluten-free and dairy-free. All welcome!