•  
Ultracat
BFree do nice bread, pitta pockets and wraps
Mar 2019
7:33am, 12 Mar 2019
1,709 posts
  •  
PenW
I like the bfree pitta pockets. I have them for lunch a lot. I’ve not tried the wraps yet.
Mar 2019
8:48am, 12 Mar 2019
7,690 posts
  •  
GordonG
NE: not that i'm aware of, though to be honest i don't actually drink that much anyway. I know us coeliacs should 100% avoid gluten but i'm lucky in that the occassional giving-in to a little bit of gluten doesn't seem to have any obvious outward affect on me. I should be stricter, though!
Mar 2019
9:08am, 12 Mar 2019
4,969 posts
  •  
Northern Exile
Hmmm. Well, I'm still on the "healing" phase of things so I will probably hold off for the time being - I don't drink much beer either, maybe one or two bottles per week? I'd like the option to be open though, so will try in due course and see if there are any obvious negative consequences.
Mar 2019
6:37pm, 12 Mar 2019
1,710 posts
  •  
PenW
I don't (or rather didn't necessarily get obvious symptoms) - I don't know what would happen if I had gluten now. But even so, the issue I had was malabsorption of nutrients, in my case iron so I became iron deficient (without realising) which had a massively negative impact on my running. When I replaced the iron I improved my 5k run times by about 10 minutes over around 4 months.

I know of someone else who never had symptoms but was diagnosed after a pathological fracture (due to undiagnosed osteoporosis from poor absorption of calcium).
Mar 2019
7:05pm, 12 Mar 2019
1,227 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
I'm not coeliac but eating wheat has very quick dire consequences, I am fine with dairy though not full fat options but prefer non-dairy milks especially unsweetened almond and the new unsweetened koko. I don't eat meat which has made eating out and even buying ready made gf stuff somewhat more difficult though it's becoming easier now. I've never drunk beer so can't help with that I'm afraid.

The BFree wraps are good for making enchiladas, I especially like the sweet potato ones. Bread wise I like the Warburton's sour dough bloomer and M&S and Tesco white rolls. I have a bread maker and use that a fair bit though it doesn't keep for long having no preservatives and tends to be a bit crumbly after it's been frozen.
Aug 2020
6:58am, 2 Aug 2020
3,028 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
Thought I'd share this having recently discovered it:

realfood.tesco.com

Makes a very good robust (for gf) loaf which freezes and defrosts well.
Aug 2020
2:15pm, 3 Aug 2020
1,896 posts
  •  
PenW
Thanks Little Miss Happy. Does it matter which doves farm gluten free flour you use?
Aug 2020
2:27pm, 3 Aug 2020
3,035 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
Just plain flour Pen - and i suspect any gf plain flour would suffice.

About This Thread

Maintained by Northern Exile
A discussion forum on the curse that is gluten-free and dairy-free. All welcome!