Gluten and Dairy-Free Fetchies

18 watchers
Mar 2019
4:29pm, 11 Mar 2019
4,962 posts
  •  
Northern Exile
I've been gluten and dairy-free for a couple of months now. Would love to hear how other people cope with it and where to buy foodstuffs that are actually appealing :-)
Mar 2019
4:49pm, 11 Mar 2019
7,688 posts
  •  
GordonG
welcome to the GF club NE!

as someone who's been coeliac for about 20 years, the good news is that the quality and range (and to some extent price) of gluten-free items is so much better than it used to be. That's because supermarkets have realised there's a market for such items, which is why they all have 'free from' ranges now.

whereas years ago i'd have been fussy, to be honest these days if i'm choosing between any of the supermarket GF brands it'd come down mostly to price. Having said that, i personally like the Genius range of breads, which i think you can get from most supermarkets.

As a rule of thumb, most GF items are still not as tasty as 'normal' food - you can definitely tell a GF pizza, and i find they take about 15% longer to cook than on the label.

GF pastas always need a good sauce with them.

sorry, don't know so much about dairy-free choices, but good luck!
Mar 2019
4:57pm, 11 Mar 2019
4,964 posts
  •  
Northern Exile
Thanks Gordon :-) I'm not actually coeliac, but do suffer from an auto-immune disorder that is thought to have been brought on by leaky gut syndrome. I've got the services of a brilliant nutritionist and have already seen an improvement in my condition, but by golly it's hard. Best gluten-free beer anyone? :-(

Here's my first top-tip. The Oatly barista edition is great in coffee.
Mar 2019
4:59pm, 11 Mar 2019
4,965 posts
  •  
Northern Exile
p.s. I've already found the Genius brand. Their pancakes are good!
Mar 2019
5:02pm, 11 Mar 2019
1,708 posts
  •  
PenW
Oh hello! I was diagnosed coeliac 1 year ago and use lactose free stuff as that doesn’t agree with me either. Pretty new to it too. I’ve always loved food and eaten everything so it’s an adjustment with eating out and travel and I’ve not braved much yet.
Mar 2019
7:09pm, 11 Mar 2019
12,559 posts
  •  
Ultracat
I have been gluten and dairy free for a good number of years now. Much easier to buy stuff and eat out now than it was 20 years ago.

Read labels on foodstuffs.

Some vegan chocolate is very good.
Mar 2019
7:13pm, 11 Mar 2019
7,689 posts
  •  
GordonG
I know that im supposed to be completely gluten free, but gluten free beer? Life's too short!
Mar 2019
10:08pm, 11 Mar 2019
4,966 posts
  •  
Northern Exile
Interesting Gordon. So normal beer doesn't trouble you?
Mar 2019
10:13pm, 11 Mar 2019
29,810 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
www.independent.co.uk/extras/indybest/food-drink/beer-cider-perry/best-gluten-free-beers-uk-where-to-buy-peroni-estrella-a7552981.html%3famp

Scarborough Fair IPA is good beer
Mar 2019
10:14pm, 11 Mar 2019
4,968 posts
  •  
Northern Exile
Nice one, ta DT :-)

About This Thread

Maintained by Northern Exile
A discussion forum on the curse that is gluten-free and dairy-free. All welcome!