Gluten and Dairy-Free Fetchies

18 watchers
Jan 2023
8:08pm, 27 Jan 2023
98,672 posts
  •  
Hanneke
It requires daily tlc! I managed for a year, from the start of Covid restrictions, as artisanal bakeries initially closed so I could not get any non-adulterated bread anywhere. I got tired of it but now that I actually need to be gf, I will be more motivated!
Sep 2023
9:14pm, 27 Sep 2023
747 posts
  •  
Minimag
I discovered recently I was gluten intolorent. Quite by mistake really, a friend of mine is Celiac, and he described the symptoms to me - IBS, bloating, gas - you dont really want to know the details, but if you have these symptons read on.
I researched it, and found that there are Celiacs and gluten-intollerent people, the symptons are similar, but Celiac is dangerous, while gluten intollerence is, well, embarassing and uncomfortable.
I suffered from the symptoms, and after talking to him, cut out gluten from my diet - bread, pasta, beer (this was the hardest), and looked at the labels of food we bought for barley, wheat etc.
It hasnt been easy, oats gets boring, cider as opposed to beer is samey, gluten free bread and pasta tastes shit, but my stomach is settled, it felt better after 2 days, but still isnt right. Apparantly it can take months to fully recover
Sep 2023
9:27pm, 27 Sep 2023
111,725 posts
  •  
Hanneke
In some cases years! A friend took 3 years to fully recover but recover she did!
Sep 2023
10:25pm, 27 Sep 2023
6,671 posts
  •  
Little Miss Happy
Minimag - you can buy gf beers. Some pasta and bread is better than others, it’s just a case of trying different things and seeing which ones you prefer. All of it is more expensive though. Just for info going gf isn’t necessarily a magic cure for IBS. I’m on three meds to manage mine.
Sep 2023
9:13am, 28 Sep 2023
111,737 posts
  •  
Hanneke
Mine transpired to be advanced ovarian cancer 😱 but I still have to be careful with gluten, as it contributes to the bloating and does cause other allergic reactions so I am gluten sensitive like I have always been.
I find having bread baked with old flours work very well for me, like spelt and einkorn. I could absolutely not get on with gluten free breads from the supermarket. As for other gluten free things like pasta: same thing. Only ones I tolerate and don't suffer from are the Aldi ones. They only have them as special buys, long shelf life, so I buy a whole box. I find replacing hi gluten products with gf products doesn't work for me so I just have less pasta and less bread etc.
Sep 2023
9:16am, 28 Sep 2023
111,738 posts
  •  
Hanneke
By the way, the baker I get my bread from ferments his doughs for three days. I think that makes them digestible. Also, I think I am sensitive to modern grains but not to old grains... Old grains not advised for the celiacs as they do contain gluten, just different gluten...
Sep 2023
11:51am, 28 Sep 2023
387 posts
  •  
GetOutTheDoor
Minimag - good luck with figuring it out - sensitive coeliac here - I still try to mainly eat whole food rather than GF substitutes. Means more time in the kitchen, but also means I have more control of ingredients. Paleo recipes are handy (no grains!), as are many indian recipes, and I've found some good persian gf recipes.
Traps I fell into were not realising that I react to gf oats (they have a related protein, avenin), and I needed to replace things like my toaster and chopping boards for ones that had never seen gluten. Sadly deglutenised beer is also something I react to. But I also used to get sick by doing martial arts training in a community hall that was used by a toddler group so had a lot of crumbs...... Took a long time to admit that this was the cause of my dodgy mondays.
Sep 2023
2:22pm, 28 Sep 2023
111,744 posts
  •  
Hanneke
Wow Getout... That is seriously sensitive!
I found I was sensitive to stuff in the processed gf stuff, which meant I just cut out everything containing gluten and found other ways. I cook a lot of Indian food and find gram flour and water makes excellent quick flat breads for example.
Sep 2023
2:35pm, 28 Sep 2023
10,028 posts
  •  
GordonG
i was diagnosed with Coeliac about 30 years ago. People often take a long time to get appropriately diagnosed these days but back then it was even less well known.

I developed Dermatitis Herpetiformis, which is tiny red spots that are astonishingly itchy.

Not knowing what the rash was, I went to see my GP. When he was in training he had to diagnose a patient with similar spots. He had no idea what it was then, but the learning stuck with him. When I walked in he was able to diagnose it immediately. I was really lucky.

The treatment for that rash in those days was the same medication they used for leprosy!!!

I will admit to being what my wife calls a selective coeliac. While I abstain from the usual bread, pasta, pasty, etc, I seem to have a small tolerance level that allows me to digest tiny amounts of gluten in, say, a sauce, without any noticeable effects.

I believe that coeliacs should abstain from gluten for other reasons, too, such as long term bone weakening and there's a very tiny increase in the possibility of some cancers. But TBH I figure life's too short...
Nov 2023
11:21am, 22 Nov 2023
114,883 posts
  •  
Hanneke
Hello :)

I fancy cinnamon buns of some sort, any recipes without dairy or gluten? Ta! :)

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Northern Exile
A discussion forum on the curse that is gluten-free and dairy-free. All welcome!