Glenmore 24 Trail Race - 2012

15 watchers
Nov 2011
9:28pm, 27 Nov 2011
117 posts
  •  
mikey_a
Just a heads-up that entries for the Glenmore 24 Trail Race open this Thursday the 1st December. I can't believe its been a year since Bill & I opened entries for this year's race... our first we'd ever organised. So we sat back, waited to see if anyone would enter, then would anyone turn up on the day and then wondering how the day would go. I think its fair to say that we were absolutely overwhelmed by the response from all those who ran and with that in mind we're not going to change much for next year's race.

For those who don't know, the Glenmore 24 is a 24 hour (or 12 hour) trail race set in a forest just outside Aviemore. Its quite a unique setting, certainly different from doing a 24 hour race on a track. The route is a 4 mile loop run on nice wide forest tracks and has a couple of climbs in it with a water point at the 2 mile mark. Within 100 yards of leaving the start you can't see it again until you come out of the trees on to the start/finish straight. Have a look at some of the photos on our Facebook page to see just how stunning the scenery is.

You can get a feel for the event from our Facebook page: facebook.com

Anyway, entry will be via the "G24 Shop" link at glenmore24.com and we hope to see some of you there next year!
Nov 2011
9:43pm, 27 Nov 2011
3,745 posts
  •  
Debstir
Oh, I didn't know about this. Not that I'm likely to do it though, I'm wasted after a sub-5 hour marathon never mind running for 12 (let alone 24!) hours!!

Aviemore is one of my fave places, coming a close 2nd to Inverness. I'll link your FB page to our club's FB page though, some of them might be interested :)
Nov 2011
10:07pm, 27 Nov 2011
118 posts
  •  
mikey_a
That would be much appreciated Deb. We're really keen to get word out about this to the local runners up there in particular.

Oops, never even mentioned the date. Its 1st September 2012 so you have ages to rest and get ready. Why not give the 12 hour one a go? You might even find you like the format....
Nov 2011
10:15pm, 27 Nov 2011
3,154 posts
  •  
Smout
Oh dear.... Why have I been noticing crazy stuff lately :-o
Nov 2011
8:23pm, 29 Nov 2011
120 posts
  •  
mikey_a
We're not crazy, honest. Its a very civilised affair indeed.
Nov 2011
10:26pm, 29 Nov 2011
3,088 posts
  •  
Star x
I am tempted - this sounds like a nice event to get a first taste of Ultras
Dec 2011
9:18pm, 1 Dec 2011
121 posts
  •  
mikey_a
This year we had 30 starters in the 24 hour event and we've hit 29 after the first day so that's a fantastic response.

Star - its a very friendly atmosphere and quite a few people did the 12 hour race this year as a stepping stone to other things and also to see if they like the idea of a 24 hour race. Give me a shout if you have any questions.
Dec 2011
9:39pm, 1 Dec 2011
3,103 posts
  •  
Star x
its the support thing that would be my undoing - dont really have anyone that I think would do it.
Jan 2012
8:17pm, 10 Jan 2012
122 posts
  •  
mikey_a
Been away from Fetch for a very long time, thought it was about time I posted an update.

Bill & I have decided to increase the 24 hour race to 50 runners. So we're now sitting with 6 places left. After that we'll operate a waiting list.

Its really great to see the 12 hour race starting to fill up too, we've got 18 runners entered in that already, quite a few recently from Fetch so thanks for the support.
Jan 2012
8:43pm, 10 Jan 2012
3,097 posts
  •  
Lintie
I was all set to enter again when entries opened then realised we might be away then! Twas my most feel good race in a long long time :)

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
12 & 24 hour trail race in the Scottish Highlands. Now in to its 3rd year....