Glenmore 12/24

20 watchers
Dec 2013
9:53am, 5 Dec 2013
21,383 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
I've entered the 24. Eep! Logic is that I need to practice some night running and after the Fling, build up to WHW 2015. What better than a 4 mile lap ultra where I'll never be far from safety etc? Was thinking of doing maybe 18-20 hours and 60-80 miles. Anyway, really looking forward to it. Just re-read Mrs shanksi's wonderful blog about her doing it for her 40th last year. And I see on the start list lots of familiar names, so should be great.

Now, camping. Hmmm, my missus isn't terribly keen. Should I try and hire a camper van for weekend and let her use that instead? Suggestions? :-)G
Dec 2013
10:16am, 5 Dec 2013
6,566 posts
  •  
AngusClydesdale
Camping van is a great idea G. Worst bit about camping (IMO) is getting a brew on quickly. Easily solved with a camping van.
Dec 2013
11:29am, 5 Dec 2013
21,384 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
And my missus is a right tea jenny, so she'd be much happier with a kettle/hob to boil. :-)G
Dec 2013
11:44am, 5 Dec 2013
5,627 posts
  •  
mrs shanksi
Great stuff :-)G! I will be there to support shanksi, RWR, and Kynon next year. It's such a good race, well organised and perfect for running long distances. I love that you don't need to carry anything as you know you will see your crew in 4 miles time. Beautiful route as well, I didn't get bored of it.

We camped in a tent the night before and our tent flooded a bit with the torrential rain so maybe a camper van would be best! I was a bit jealous of Minty's van.
Dec 2013
11:44am, 5 Dec 2013
5,628 posts
  •  
mrs shanksi
And cups of tea kept me going for sure
Dec 2013
1:34pm, 5 Dec 2013
1,099 posts
  •  
Tizer
It'll be interesting to hear how you get on with this. Not sure how you train to run for 24 hours though...or even 12. Good luck though :-)
Dec 2013
1:49pm, 5 Dec 2013
5,629 posts
  •  
mrs shanksi
Tizer my tactic was to do a 33 mile ultra in the March, 55 mile ultra in the May then I took it quite easy until Glenmore 24 in the Sep. I didn't want to overdo the training cos I wanted to be in the mood for running for a long time.
Dec 2013
1:56pm, 5 Dec 2013
1,100 posts
  •  
Tizer
Its a strange one for sure. I'd have thought the best way would be to run big double weekend runs for 6 or 7 hours at a time possibly. Thankfully, I can't find the time to do that. Its hard enough finding time to train for a marathon. Well done though. After doing GO33 I think it takes a different kind of person to want to keep running for miles and miles. Even at GO I was almost feeling lonely in the last 5-6 miles. Strange feeling when you're 'racing' and you're on your own at the same time. May do something like that for charity some day but I'll stick to the marathons for now :-)
Dec 2013
2:06pm, 5 Dec 2013
5,630 posts
  •  
mrs shanksi
I definitely do not have time for that! Have a look at my training, I probably do very few miles compared to most ultra runners. I have 3 boys and a husband who runs too so I need to have a few quality sessions a week with one long run at the weekend and that's it. I love running with other people and for a lot of Glenmore24 I had buddy runners. No need to be lonely :-). I have raced for several hours on my own eg during whw race, but I think I was mentally prepared for that, and I knew I would have a buddy from 50 miles in so it didn't bother me.
Dec 2013
4:20pm, 5 Dec 2013
21,385 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
D33 in March, Fling 53 April, Three Islands (60 miles in 4 days) in May, this in Sep, WHW Jun 2015. Marathons as long runs, some 30-35 long runs. Some back to back weekends building up from 15/25 to 20/30 etc. Something like that...?! :-)G

About This Thread

Maintained by HappyG(rrr)
I've entered the 24. Eep! Logic is that I need to practice some night running and after the Fling, ...