Gigs

1 lurker | 47 watchers
Oct 2022
11:17am, 14 Oct 2022
6,918 posts
  •  
Fields
Gutted I missed out on PSB last year due to covid anxiety. Rare for bands to come to my part of the country - nearest PSB gig was Bournemouth which is a 5 hour round trip so approx £70 of petrol plus the gig ticket. Not affordable. Even Bristol is a bit too far for me to want to drive.

But I am going to see a punk gig in December in New Cross. London is a long way from me but I have a bezzer who’ll let me stay at hers even if she’s away!
Oct 2022
11:17am, 14 Oct 2022
6,919 posts
  •  
Fields
Love Roxy music even though the backing vocalists do most of the heavy lifting now as BF voice has gone
Oct 2022
1:42pm, 14 Oct 2022
951 posts
  •  
Dibble
Roxy still have the core 4 members Bryan Ferry, Phil Manzanera, Andy Mackay and Paul Thompson. The only others who I would consider as having been full time members were Brian Eno (went on to other things after the first 2 albums) and Eddie Jobson (albums 3-5 and I think now retired from making music). Understandably they need assistance given not only Ferry 's voice but also, for example, medical issues for Andy Mackay.
Oct 2022
2:09pm, 14 Oct 2022
19,291 posts
  •  
larkim
Saw PSB last weekend in Liverpool as my better half bought tickets for my birthday earlier in the year. Astounding stuff, even better than I'd hoped. Even my teenaged plus 1s (14yo and 16yo) were impressed after warning in advance that the audience would be mainly 40-50yo men (they weren't too far wrong as far as the initial queue had it, though it balanced out a bit better as it filled up).
Oct 2022
4:05pm, 14 Oct 2022
6,937 posts
  •  
Fields
I suppose talking at gigs is a bit like folk texting when watching tv / at the cinema
Oct 2022
11:52pm, 14 Oct 2022
57,477 posts
  •  
LindsD
Stewart Lee was brilliant
Oct 2022
10:05am, 15 Oct 2022
11,648 posts
  •  
Joopsy
Pup were phenomenal at the Roundhouse last night, as they were at Manchester the night before.

Moshing on a epic scale.
Oct 2022
9:04pm, 15 Oct 2022
25,786 posts
  •  
TROSaracen
Oct 2022
9:33pm, 15 Oct 2022
952 posts
  •  
Dibble
I really need not have worried about being apprehensive about Roxy Music last night as it has been a long time since I enjoyed a concert more than this. The opening number Re-Make Re-Model (appropriately the first track of their first LP) saw the large video screen alternate between showing the performers playing live on stage and them at their first TV performance of the same song 50 years ago, which I found surprisingly emotional. There followed some superb versions of other songs from their early records, with Phil Manzanera's guitar work a particular highlight.

However Roxy are very much a band of two halves. I adore their 70's more experimental period, but am less keen on the more refined 80's tracks. Consequently the Dance Away/More Than This/Avalon section that followed was a bit of a lull for me. However a final flourish that climaxed with a roaring Do The Strand against a changing montage of pictures of the band over the last 50 years was an appropriate and moving finale.

What I was particularly pleased about was that the members of the band seemed to be really enjoying themselves on stage. The fact that the 18,000 seat venue was full must have helped and it felt a distinct contrast to their previous tour in 2011 (?) when they appeared to be going through the motions when I saw them. If this tour was their swansong, then I think both fans and the band will feel it ended on a high.
Oct 2022
11:43pm, 15 Oct 2022
57,486 posts
  •  
LindsD
That's brilliant Dibble

TRO, that looks interesting. Was it good?

About This Thread

Maintained by Joopsy
A place to talk about upcoming gigs or reviews on ones recently attended. I'm also keen to hear...