Giant Avail 5

1 watcher
Dec 2013
7:38pm, 13 Dec 2013
214 posts
  •  
oprah
I signed up for the London Triathlon and need to buy a bike as I don't think my Brompton will quite cut it! I signed up so that I wouldn't keep signing up for marathons and wrecking my knees, but I am determined to not let this new hobby take over my bank account as well as all of my free time!!

I'm interested in the cheapest package on tri-uk which gets you a Giant Avail 5, a wetsuit, shoes, pedals, helmet and goggles for £599. Buying the bike new is £500, so it seems like quite a good deal, although I'm concerned I might be going in too low with the bike quality. I could get a better bike for £599 and the rest of the stuff I either have or don't really need.

Is the Giant Avail 5 good enough? I see there are some 2013 Scott bikes on sale at Evans for about the same price as the package. On the other hand, if the bike isn't fantastic, I could always hire a better one for the race.
Dec 2013
8:08pm, 13 Dec 2013
17,011 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
It will be good enough. From my understanding you see all kinds of bikes at triathlons, including mountain bikes and the odd shopper (and Bromptons).
The question is will it be enough for you in a year? Its a relatively basic set up, if you get hooked you might want something more.
Dec 2013
8:50pm, 16 Dec 2013
221 posts
  •  
oprah
Thanks for the reassurance. I forgot the package also includes a tri suit, which has won me over! I will probably want a better bike in a year whether I spend £500 or £800 now, so might as well save it for later.
Dec 2013
10:03pm, 16 Dec 2013
15,095 posts
  •  
DeeGee
The Avail 5 will be fine for the almost perfectly flat London Tri course. I rode it on a similarly speced Speccy.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by oprah
I signed up for the London Triathlon and need to buy a bike as I don't think my Brompton will quite...