Getting back into running

1 watcher
Mar 2014
3:37pm, 5 Mar 2014
5 posts
  •  
Blodwen
I really want to get back into running again and am wondering what the best way to go about this is... Should I do something like C25K, or one of the Runner's World beginner's 5K plans? They seem to involve walk/run, and I know when I've started trying to get back into running in the past, although the first few weeks have been quite hard, I'm always surprised how quickly I can build back up to running for 20-30 mins continuously (albeit slowly!). Or should I just go out there and try to run for 20 mins very gently and do that a few times a week? I'm just wondering what the best approach is, and would be very grateful for any advice!
Thanks, :-)
Mar 2014
3:47pm, 5 Mar 2014
24,326 posts
  •  
Old Croc
Weclome aboard / weclome back

depends how well you "get back" into it - take it easy, treat first run as a taster and don't expect too much. Anything above that is a bonus!

Personally - get an event entered and that gives you a goal to aim for rather than an aimless set of runs.
Mar 2014
4:02pm, 5 Mar 2014
3,503 posts
  •  
Autumnleaves
Welcome back :) - do you have a parkrun nearby? Could be a nice way to get back into it, and give you a target? When I first started running I only used to do the Manchester 10k each year - and tended to start training for that each January. As you say, I was surprised how quickly - once the first shock was over - I got back to being able to run for 30 minutes without stopping. I'd focus on enjoying it - and any plan could always be adapted if you found you were doing better than you thought. Good luck :)
Mar 2014
4:19pm, 5 Mar 2014
6 posts
  •  
Blodwen
Thanks for the advice - that's really helpful! :-)
I have the Crystal Palace parkrun nearby, although I don't think I should attempt that right away, as it's pretty hilly! But that would be a good, regular local event to aim for once I've actually managed to do a continuous 20-30 mins.
I really want to sign up for a Race for Life, as that would give me something to focus on, whilst raising money for a great cause. I don't know my work schedule for the summer yet, but hopefully that should become clear in the next week or so, and I can enter an event then.
Having been a regular runner(although not for a few years now), I feel like my head is saying one thing, but I know my creaky body will be saying something completely different!

Thanks for your wise words! :-)
Mar 2014
4:28pm, 5 Mar 2014
113 posts
  •  
JustDistracted
Do parkrun! Don't know what Crystal Palace is like but at Woodley there's a great community and lots of support and it doesn't matter how long anyone takes. We have a tailrunner too so they do the important job of Being Last.

I've had a couple of restarts, and never used a programme, just headed out to do 5k, with music on and run one song, walked one, and built up one song at a time until I figured I could run slowly without stopping, generally that didn't take long. Funnily enough I can't run with music well anymore, rhythm disturbs more than helps and I prefer to listen to what's going on.

I'd say take it easy, and think about doing other stuff to build up fitness - swimming, badminton, walking, or exercise classes. If you can make it sociable and fun it goes quicker, and you're less likely to CBA a session. parkrun was excellent for that for me.

GOOD LUCK!
Mar 2014
5:05pm, 5 Mar 2014
7 posts
  •  
Blodwen
Thanks, JustDistracted, I'll definitely go and check out the Crystal Palace one! I've just had a look on the website and it looks fun. I like the idea of someone deliberately Being Last! :-) Although as most of my friends are keen cyclists, there's a certain cachet in being the Lanterne Rouge!http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lanterne_rouge

Thanks for your advice, and good luck with your running goals for 2014! :-)
Mar 2014
11:11am, 6 Mar 2014
24,331 posts
  •  
Old Croc
yeah for parkrun - a great way to measure your progress on a regular basis - after a few you'll be saying "oh it used to take mee xx minutes now I am down to....."
Mar 2014
9:41am, 8 Mar 2014
8 posts
  •  
Blodwen
Thanks, Old Croc! I managed to do 20 mins non stop on Thurs, which I was really pleased with, even if I was VERY slow! I'm still very achey though, so think I might do a few more of those on my own before braving the CP parkrun! :-)
Mar 2014
9:46am, 8 Mar 2014
24,334 posts
  •  
Old Croc
hey every effort is worth it - especially if you can add the phrase "I was really pleased" that's a bonus for any run! Get along to the parkrun sooner rather than later - then you can measure the bigger improvements. And more post run café stops!

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Blodwen
I really want to get back into running again and am wondering what the best way to go about this is....