George Michael

8 watchers
Dec 2016
8:23am, 26 Dec 2016
4,358 posts
  •  
Wobbling
Bloody hell. I'm in shock.

I was a massive Wham fan, tho I fancied Andrew, not George.

George's version of 'As' is one of my favourite tracks.

2016 is truly the year that keeps on giving.
ERM
Dec 2016
8:39am, 26 Dec 2016
337 posts
  •  
ERM
Me too - the age at which he wrote some his 'classics' defies belief...

"Praying for time" - absolutely incredible song
Dec 2016
8:40am, 26 Dec 2016
17,395 posts
  •  
Ding dong Meglet on high
Listen Without Predjudice is one of my all time favourite albums.
Dec 2016
9:31am, 26 Dec 2016
10,923 posts
  •  
Fenland (Fenners) Runner
Had no social media or even watching the news from early yesterday.

Just run around the house saying 'What the fuck'.

Can't believe it, totally shocked, grew up listening to George.
Dec 2016
9:55am, 26 Dec 2016
4,092 posts
  •  
postieboy
Mrs P is in bits here, she lived and breathed Wham! as a child and is devastated. Whilst not a big fan myself, I enjoyed his music and am very sad to see him pass away. :(
Dec 2016
10:02am, 26 Dec 2016
19,169 posts
  •  
Merry LG
Raptors, you are right and such an awful tragedy.

Ladies and Gentlemen is my favourite CD for the car.
Dec 2016
1:04pm, 26 Dec 2016
4,359 posts
  •  
Wobbling
Lots of people on the Guardian BTL commenting that they didn't know what a campaigner he was, which is interesting as the early Wham! tracks I thought were very political.

Guardian mods are deleting all the negative, nasty comments. There will be a time for the 'I never liked him' brigade but not today. Today is for marking the passing of a talented man who stood up for for his principles. And made a lot of people happy.

Too funky was played on hard rotate during my final term of my first year of college, much to my indie pals' horror.
Dec 2016
1:10pm, 26 Dec 2016
2,988 posts
  •  
Icelandic Trigirl
So sad and unexpected :( I adored George (still do - we are on first name terms). When he toured in 2007, I couldn't find anyone to come with me and ended up taking my Aunt, already about 70 yo! We had the time of our lives.

Sniff!
Dec 2016
3:04pm, 26 Dec 2016
3,883 posts
  •  
Doctor K
On Christmas Eve I ordered my first George Michael albums -two of them -so that I could get 3 or 4 particular songs -great singer.
Dec 2016
3:18pm, 26 Dec 2016
14,112 posts
  •  
Atonal Miserabilist (AFKA TRO)
My first ever gig was Wham! I wondered what the hell was going on as these two cavorted around stage, sticking shuttle cocks down their shorts and batting them into the crowd. A few weeks later the Smiths detonated into my life and I turned away from this sort of stuff.

Having said that, no doubt he eventually proved himself as a fine songwriter and a great singer, and has contributed to the canon of great pop songs that will live on.

53 is no age to die.

As I have said several times this year it feels like the Grim Reaper is getting closer. A number of my true, life defining icons have been taken and people who have always been around even if not major icons (to me) have also gone.

Sad day.

About This Thread

Maintained by HowFar?
Shocked to see this news.

bbc.co.uk