General Fitness - weights, gyms, cross-fit etc (and a challenge)

1 watcher
Apr 2019
9:58am, 8 Apr 2019
14 posts
  •  
jb62
Apologies if there are existing threads covering this topic. I'm anticipating that there are a number of other runners who do other fitness stuff - if only to support their running.

I'm mainly a runner (currently 22.10 parkrun) but in Runners World I saw an interview with a celebrity runner (well, Lee Latchford Evans, late of Steps!) who said he was into cross-fit in general and then referenced a specific event: 'The Murph', named after a US Seal.

This looks mid-boggling: a 1 mile run (that's the easy bit) followed by 100 pull-ups, 200 press-ups, 300 squats and (another easy bit) a 1 mile run. The top guys even do this with a 20lb weighted vest; the top girls with 14lb weighted vest.
I thought - there's a challenge. And if you dispense with the vest and tackle the event as 20 x 5 pull-ups, 20 x 10 press-ups and 20 x 15 squats (sandwiched between 2 runs) it doesn't sound quite so awful. Thus 'a round' would be 5 pull-ups, 10 press -up and 15 squats

So I've started training for it. Without the runs (and without the vest!) I managed 15 'rounds' in 19.25. (In competitions - in the States, of course, this is timed.)

Has anyone done it, tried it or fancy it? There are some seriously fit people on this site, so I reckon there might be some takers.
Apr 2019
10:07am, 8 Apr 2019
12,500 posts
  •  
Homer
Nottinham uni has a run course with outdoor gyms every mile where lots of fit folk do this type of thing
Apr 2019
10:28am, 8 Apr 2019
22,090 posts
  •  
Wriggling Snake
I did Cross Fit for about 18 months 2012/2013, it had a really odd effect. It ended up with me running less, but being stronger+heavier, at that time I ran my best 5k, but got worse at every other distance. I think it was just the reduced milage and took a year for me to notice it was happening...cross fit is very hard (as you will find out). If you do a lot of cross fit, you will get stronger you may well get heavier, depending on what sort of weights regime you undertake, but it can detrimentally affect distance, it is a power thing really....I did enjoy it, but my sessions were at 6.00 am, the only way I could fit it in.

Be aware and figure out what you want from it.
Apr 2019
1:31pm, 8 Apr 2019
15 posts
  •  
jb62
I think there is probably a bit of a trade-off when you go into another from of training in that running times can suffer. Funnily enough my best times were achieved when I was training for a duathlon - the extra training time spent on the bike seemed to help my running. But upper body muscle probably won't do you much good for longer distance events.
Apr 2019
4:54pm, 8 Apr 2019
31,121 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Hi jb62. That sort of cross / obstacle racing isn't really for me. I do most of those things as cross training to support my running (though not as many) but I wouldn't be interested in "competing" at it particularly.

Mostly I do core, but a bit of upper body. I call that "vanity training" though! Enjoy! :-) G
Apr 2019
8:59pm, 8 Apr 2019
16 posts
  •  
jb62
I like the 'vanity training' concept. I admit I feed off success in sporting endeavours - typically for me that a 'category win' in parkrun. (Hardly winning an Olympic gold!)
So the 'Murph challenge' does appeal to my own need for achievement, especially as about the only 3 things I'm half decent at are press-ups, pull-ups and running.

I'm a very shallow person!
Apr 2019
1:51pm, 9 Apr 2019
31,137 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Lol, nothing wrong with being competitive. I'm always rather sniffy about these obstacle type races because

a. they are v. expensive
b. a lot of folk who take part just really walk and do it more like it's a theme park experience, not a sporting endeavour
c. just running is plenty goal enough for me!

Not to say that the top guys and gals at the front aren't super fit.

I actually have reasonable upper body strength so would probably do ok at them. Just happy to concentrate on simple running though! :-) G

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by jb62
Apologies if there are existing threads covering this topic. I'm anticipating that there are a ...