General Election 2015

40 watchers
May 2015
9:59am, 23 May 2015
7,343 posts
  •  
Chrisull
Public petitioning SNP to vote against the repeal of foxhunting, promising to holiday in Scotland and buy whisky I see! Hope the SNP do, with the 30 Tories who oppose foxhunting, it will be enough to topple it.

Think some proper big votes where Tories might rebel too will focus Labour a bit. Don't expect any togetherness until September anyway, Tories can enjoy their honeymoon and get lulled into a false sense of security, this has narrower margins than the Major parliament and a year on from 92 he had lost control and never regained it, and carried on a pretty much lame duck prime minister wittering on about road cones and banging Edwina Currie rather than enacting much legislation.
May 2015
10:46am, 23 May 2015
11,327 posts
  •  
ChrisHB
Carmichael should resign and never darken the shores of the UK again.
May 2015
1:40pm, 23 May 2015
6,913 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
David Davies and Ken Clarke making rumblings about rebelling over the HRA as well.

Carmichael probably ought to resign, or at least trigger a by-election, but he won't, due to lib dems having so few MPs.
May 2015
5:58pm, 23 May 2015
5,815 posts
  •  
Duchess
Politician behaves badly in attempting to portray a misleadingly bad image of another politician wearing different coloured rosette. This is news and surprising how?
May 2015
6:09pm, 23 May 2015
11,328 posts
  •  
ChrisHB
The whole episode stinks, from the civil servant who allegedly mistranslated the comment to the minister who leaked. I don't believe the mistranslation story, tbh. Or does Ms Sturgeon speak such faultless/faulty French that a civil servant qualified to translate failed abysmally?
May 2015
8:44pm, 23 May 2015
5,196 posts
  •  
Jambomo
Wasn't the problem that they weren't even at the meeting though?
Jun 2015
11:41pm, 2 Jun 2015
7,381 posts
  •  
Chrisull
So no-one else mentioned the sudden death of Charles Kennedy? I'm not a Lib Dem, but I was saddened by this (although not totally surprised), he led the opposition against the Iraq war and was the only Lib Dem to vote against going into coalition with the Tories. More principles and backbone than plenty in the so called opposition, as well as his own party.

With a 10 year old son, this is a total tragedy, and while he wasn't an mp anymore, it's a huge loss to the party, and to his family also, really life's too short.
Jun 2015
5:49am, 3 Jun 2015
71,772 posts
  •  
santababy
Agree Chirs, there was a piece last night on new saying that so many people went up to him to tell him they voting SNP but that they wish him well and shook his hand. He was a popular man having held seat for so very long. His party let him down, I'd guess it's been a factor in his death
Jun 2015
6:11am, 3 Jun 2015
16,078 posts
  •  
Derby Tup
The genuine warmth and sources of the various tributes to CK's in the media tell their own story. What at waste; what a shame
Jun 2015
10:31am, 3 Jun 2015
3,518 posts
  •  
Doctor K
Kennedy's death is a tragedy. It is easy to forget that it was under his leadership (and not Clegg's) that the party reached their highest total of MPs -without selling their soul in the process. He had them to the left of Labour in my view. With his standing in the constituency it is a pity he wasn't re-elected but that's politics.
When he stood up there speaking on the stop the war rally he reminded me of Tony Benn. "You have to tell the truth as you see it."

About This Thread

Maintained by oddson2003
With around 40 days left till polling day, have the politicians arguments convinced you to vote for ...