Gene Wilder RIP

1 watcher
Aug 2016
9:11am, 30 Aug 2016
6,937 posts
  •  
GordonG
A truly funny guy.

One of my favourite ever scenes in any film is from Silver Streak. Gene Wilder is on the run from the police and Richard Pryor tries to help. They go in to a train station toilet, where there is a (black) shoe shine boy. Pryor takes the shoe polish and blacks up Wilder. As Wilder is trying to perfect a truly awful ‘jive’ walk, the shoe shine guy says something like “you must really be in trouble if you have to dress up as a black man to avoid the police.”

True comedy gold
Aug 2016
9:12am, 30 Aug 2016
14,486 posts
  •  
The Teaboy
We are the music makers and we are the dreamers of the dreams
Aug 2016
9:44am, 30 Aug 2016
6,834 posts
  •  
Nicholls595
When I found out last night, I dug out the Blazing Saddles DVD and watched it for the millionth time as my personal tribute. "Little bastard shot me in the ass" still makes me cry with laughter.
Aug 2016
9:46am, 30 Aug 2016
26,208 posts
  •  
Frobester
Young Frankenstein was my favourite, although Blazing Saddles comes a very close second.
Aug 2016
11:45am, 30 Aug 2016
40,454 posts
  •  
swittle
Top drawer.
Aug 2016
12:20pm, 30 Aug 2016
8,417 posts
  •  
Seratonin
A great comic actor.

Whilst the media seem to be focussed on Wilder's greatest film being Willy Wonka, I am of the opinion that Blazing Saddles and Young Frankenstein are better.

I was only thinking last week that the *bag* scene in Django Unchained is a terrific homage by Tarantino to the *baked bean* scene in Blazing Saddles.
Aug 2016
12:36pm, 30 Aug 2016
6,938 posts
  •  
GordonG
yep, the bit in Django where they're childishly arguing about the hoods is deffo a tribute to Blazing Saddles. it works so well because it's a laugh out loud scene in amidst chaos, killings and bloodshed!
Aug 2016
1:27pm, 30 Aug 2016
1,593 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
My favourites were Blazing Saddles and Young Frankenstein. Although the scene in See No Evil, Hear no Evil when the deaf Wilder directs the blind Pryor who is driving a car was brilliant.

I wasn't a fan of his Willy Wonka as feel Roald Dahl's creation is a British character and not American. He still did a great job as the eccentric Wonka nevertheless.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by GordonG
A truly funny guy.

One of my favourite ever scenes in any film is from Silver Streak. Gene Wilde...