GB Relay

3 watchers
Jun 2016
9:45am, 5 Jun 2016
508 posts
  •  
Gogsy!
This event was delayed last year as there were unsolved issues with the Guinness Book of Records.
The aim is to carry a letter around mainland Britain to achieve the world’s longest hand delivered message & also become the world’s longest continuous running event.
Basically, the country has been divided into stages, where a runner/group of runners collect & hand over a GPS baton 6 to 10 miles later.
It finally starts this Wednesday (June 8th), but with a 12 month delay, there have been a number of runners who now can’t make it & have pulled out. As a result there a number of stages without anyone appointed to run it.
Fancy it? It’s now free to enter … have a look to see if there are any gaps near you:
gbrelay.com
Jun 2016
11:54am, 5 Jun 2016
19,194 posts
  •  
Red Squirrel
Fantastic idea.

Nothing left in my neck of the woods.
Jun 2016
11:58am, 5 Jun 2016
19,195 posts
  •  
Red Squirrel
I did a few legs of a previous relay while staying with family in the Highlands - just checked out those legs. Memories ... It's so beautiful up there.
Jun 2016
4:06pm, 5 Jun 2016
1,477 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
Unfortunately, nothing fits in around my circumstances this year. On 2015, I did contemplate one of the East sections while I was away there on holiday. Sadly, last year's event was cancelled before I signed up. I hope it goes well!
Jun 2016
4:51pm, 5 Jun 2016
2,179 posts
  •  
mr d
Looks like great fun, but an afternoon off work to run 11k might not go down well!
Jun 2016
5:27pm, 5 Jun 2016
11,443 posts
  •  
Ultracat
Sorry too slow for this, would struggle to run 10k in under an hour and the one leg near me involves running along a major road.
Jun 2016
6:16pm, 5 Jun 2016
1,845 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
What happens if there's no-one for a certain leg ( ie no-one volunteers, or someone who says they'll do it gets sick or forgets, etc ), says there's no vehicle backup following it around to get the baton to the next stage, so does the whole thing just fall apart ?
Jun 2016
7:13pm, 5 Jun 2016
13 posts
  •  
mattleydon
I assume its the same organisation but I remembered a thread on runners world where there were some unanswered questions runnersworld.co.uk I think the guys on RW could have handled the thread differently but the responses from the organisers put me off signing up at the time
Jun 2016
8:22pm, 5 Jun 2016
353 posts
  •  
Bluebell2325
Get involved, it's a bit of fun. I did it in 2014 and am looking forward to picking it up again on 11th. Everyone just has faith in everyone else, no one wants to be the weak link, you know people are relying on you, the whole thing being successful or not is relying on you, so everyone gives it their best. Just keep calm, do your bit and watch it keep going.
Jun 2016
8:38pm, 5 Jun 2016
1,846 posts
  •  
K5 Gus
Yeh, but it starts in a couple of days time and for example the 7th & 8th stages ( or 145 and 146 as they are confusingly called ) has no-one down to do them.

The person before is already doing 2 stages, if she added on the next 2 that would be about 33 miles !!!

Perhaps the person after will offer, but what if not, how does the baton proceed ??

You can't just have faith, you need a plan, people are human, and things will happen.

About This Thread

Maintained by Gogsy!
This event was delayed last year as there were unsolved issues with the Guinness Book of Records.
T...