McGoohan
Stand by, it's a big un
Feb 2018
8:19am, 15 Feb 2018
33,087 posts
  •  
McGoohan
Oxo Tower Restaurant review by rachel
When my boyfriend told me he wanted to take me up the Oxo Tower for my birthday, I was a bit hesitant at first because I didn't really think it was my scene. How wrong I was! I mean, yeah, so it's a bit of a strain on the old back pocket, and I admit I did feel a bit uncomfortable initially. But a couple of cocktails helped me relax and soon I was really getting into it - we carried on well into the night. It was a great experience and I really loved it - so much so that I won't let my boyfriend take me anywhere else now! So if anyone ever wants to take you up the Oxo Tower, just throw caution to the wind and go for it!
Saturday, December 22, 2007

Overall rating

Food 5

Service 5

Atmosphere 5

Value for money 5
Feb 2018
8:20am, 15 Feb 2018
33,088 posts
  •  
McGoohan
And here are the responses (that got taken down)

review comments
I'm glad you enjoyed it, but this is the year 2008, and you're clearly a modern woman. Next time what's to stop you taking him up the Oxo Towers instead?
I'm sure he'd welcome the turnaround.
Alex - Thursday, January 17, 2008
Rather. I recomend the finger buffet
- Thursday, January 17, 2008
- Thursday, January 17, 2008
It is great. The OXO Tower difference ? Other venues make your day, but the Tower makes your whole week...

Fantastic Mr Fox - Friday, January 18, 2008
Ive been up the oxo tower many a time. I really feel it is a must if you have just met a new lady, then save it for special occasions, or what the hell, throw caution to the wind and visit there on a regular basis.

- Friday, January 18, 2008
I love being taken up the Oxo Tower, my boyfriend doesn’t live in London so I’ve promised him we can try it next time he’s down…He loves London Eating, he always up for a good munch!
Lillbet - Friday, January 18, 2008
The last time I took my wife up the Oxo Tower I had a beautiful cream pie for dessert. I would highly recommend this dish if you want something a little different. Very naughty but nice.
splendid
I thoroughly enjoyed the pound of liver in a hairy handbag,
spacatta - Friday, January 18, 2008
I found that as soon as I entered there was a funny smell, and it could certainly have done with a clean, but besides all that I had a fantastic time
barrymore - Friday, January 18, 2008
I found that as soon as I entered there was a funny smell, and it could certainly have done with a clean, but besides all that I had a fantastic time
barrymore - Friday, January 18, 2008
I hear the ‘Brown Windsor’ is excellent for a starter.

Stu C - Friday, January 18, 2008
On the advice of many I decided to take my whole family up the OXO Tower (although my nan did object as she isn't too steady on her feet these days, took a while to convince her but eventually she caved in), I was surprised at just how accomodating they were! I must admit though that initially I just poked my head in to see what all the fuss was about and to 'check out' the ambience, which I found pleasantly warm and friendly! We all had a really great time and thankfully I remembered to bring my camera so I got some really good shots! Will definately go back, can't wait!
Lingers - Friday, January 18, 2008
I decided to take my elderly grandmother up the OXO Tower last weekend, It was a special treat for her and despite being in a wheelchair the access was non too painful. Even though my grandmother has difficulty swallowing, she woofed the boston brownie and cream down with absolute glee. We will definitely be back again and next time I might treat her to the spit roast, no doubt another treat she won't forget in a hurry!
Matt W - Friday, January 18, 2008
I decided to take my elderly grandmother up the OXO Tower last weekend, It was a special treat for her and despite being in a wheelchair the access was non too painful. Even though my grandmother has difficulty swallowing, she woofed the boston brownie and cream down with absolute glee. We will definitely be back again and next time I might treat her to the spit roast, no doubt another treat she won't forget in a hurry!
Matt W - Friday, January 18, 2008
Up the OXO Tower, eh? Well, there's a bit o' livin' on the edge for one's birthday. I was in London a few months ago and went up the OXO with some colleagues. We had a grand time, but I surely didn't tell me bird about it. I'm saving that special trip for our next visit. She just loves coming to new heights and experiences and, eating...well she's always over the top for that! I dare say she'll be writing in just like Rachel once we've done the ol' OXO Tower inner circle ride to the top. Cheers, Mates...take it from me...you'll never beat a trip up the OXO.

Sky
Sky - Friday, January 18, 2008
Well, I was over in this delightful 'lil country of yours a week or so ago and I thought, hey what the heck I'd call up my good buddy Stu C and take him up the OXO tower to celebrate his coming of age - shoot, he was so excited he squealed like a stuck pig! It was such a lovely atmosphere and the accompanying sound of banjo playing from a local duet, Lester Flatt and Earl Scruggs, just reminded us of our deep dark forests back home. Whoowee what memories, I'll be back up the OXO Tower again before the authorities know I'm gone.
Bubba, USA - Friday, January 18, 2008
I can thoroughly recommend a visit up the oxo tower. However the cream pie afters are not to the taste of some pallets. I myself enjoyed the full experience with a very special friend.
The last time I went up the oxo tower with my special lady was after a heavy curry (vindaloo) during lunchtime. I felt this spoilt the experience somewhat and would recommend abstaining from such foods prior to a visit.
I myself have taken many people up the OXO Tower and for once it was a real pleasure for the service to be returned. My friend took a while to relax but he soon got into the swing of things and he even let me try is gravy.

triptech - Saturday, January 19, 2008
We had a fudge packers works outing there last christmas and they all said the Chocolate Starfish was divine
Badmaan - Saturday, January 19, 2008
We had a fudge packers works outing there last christmas and they all said the Chocolate Starfish was divine
Badmaan - Saturday, January 19, 2008
My wife and I had been keen to try Greek for some time, and when friends informed us that the OXO was the best Greek experience, we simply had to try it...We weren't disappointed.
For a while after our Greek up the OXO there was an air of silence between my wife and I, as we both came to terms with the new flavours we'd just savoured. But once we'd fully absorbed the delights, we accepted that Greek up the OXO is where the quality is.
The OXO is also very popular with Elton and David, I do believe
Drew5292 - Saturday, January 19, 2008
My only criticism of the Oxo Tower is that, being a larger gentleman myself, I find it a bit of a tight squeeze when you're up there, uncomfortably so in fact. However, my wife disagrees with me. She says that the Oxo's intimacy is all part of its charm.
Jim Browning - Saturday, January 19, 2008
Spotted Dick - Saturday, January 19, 2008
The last time I was dining at the Oxo Tower restaurant some unruly yobs started a food fight; it was most annoying. The civilised patrons tried to ignore it and the scene put me in mind of that Carry On film where the great and the good are trying to continue with their meal whilst a battle rages around them. What was that film called? Oh yes, I remember, it was 'Carry On up the Khyber'.
Spotted Dick - Saturday, January 19, 2008
I would love to take my girlfriend up the Oxo Tower much more often than I do. But I find access is a problem. It's really hard to get in there sometimes. Once I nearly got stuck halfway up! But once you're up there, I have to agree it is a fantastic experience. And the view is amazing! To make the whole evening even more memorable we would recommend doing a little swap. The last time my girlfriend needed no encouragement to take a mouthful of my pork, and I had a lovely little nibble on her fish pie.
BackdoorPete - Sunday, January 20, 2008
Been in and out of the Oxo Towers a few times over the years but when I try to take my present partner there I can never fit through the door
- Sunday, January 20, 2008
I struck up a conversation with a highly strung rough looking waiter called Hans at the Tower. Turned out he's a keen amateur boxer like a mate of mine - the mighty JMonkey. I set up a friendly after hours bout for them both at a local Gym one night. Turns out the waiter wasn't quite the pugilist he claimed to be as my mate ended up giving him the fisting of his life in the ring!
I reckon the experience loosened him up a bit though so next time your at the OXO and served by Hans, you'll have no problem slipping him a large tip!
Sweetcorn Niblets - Sunday, January 20, 2008
Thank you so much for that review, Rachel. My girlfriend desperately wants me to take her up the Oxo Tower; I've had a close look at it and even sniffed around it once or twice, but I've never had the courage to take the plunge. Now I know how much young ladies enjoy the experience, I won't hesitate to give my girlfriend the pleasure. Just one question; now you've been taken up there, won't you always want 'the Oxo Tower experience' rather than exploring more conventional venues?
Sweetsong - Sunday, January 20, 2008
Taking a girl up the Oxo Tower always reminds me of those little brown gravy granules - "Ah Bistro .... !"
Ena Mungstet - Sunday, January 20, 2008
My wife & I were visiting London last week & whilst there we decided to visit an adjacent establishment. Unfortunately (or not) due to rather a few too many earlier cocktails we lost the way & I accidentily slipped into the Oxo Tower. Well, my wife squealed with delight at this error & insisted that we stay for some time. I must admit, although a bit of a squeeze, the experience was indeed pleasurable, (in fact it did remind me of my days at public school!).
Trouser snake - Sunday, January 20, 2008
My wife & I were visiting London last week & whilst there we decided to visit an adjacent establishment. Unfortunately (or not) due to rather a few too many earlier cocktails we lost the way & I accidentily slipped into the Oxo Tower. Well, my wife squealed with delight at this error & insisted that we stay for some time. I must admit, although a bit of a squeeze, the experience was indeed pleasurable, (in fact it did remind me of my days at public school!).
Trouser snake - Sunday, January 20, 2008
Like you my wife was also slightly hesitant about being taken up the Oxo Tower. However, I'm please to report she had a wonderful time! She enjoyed it so much we engaged in anal sex for the first time later that same day.
JSmith - Sunday, January 20, 2008
Here's a bit of trivia for you OXO patrons:
Do you you that the famous Scottish confectionery magnate Sir Hector McSpunkie was inspired to create his now best selling product "Hector McSpunkie's Chocolate Chunkies" after taking one of his junior confectioners up the OXO Tower for the first time?!
Sweetcorn Niblets - Sunday, January 20, 2008
My partner has been begging me to take her up the OXO tower for ages because she wants to feel stuffed on a big portion but frankly I'm dubious about it so i've been putting it off.
Well, yesterday evening I had to give in and agree to it. Well, it was a disaster! I was just entering and i found that the passage was blocked with stools. I just couldn't push past them no matter how hard I was.
So I gave up, vowing never to go there again, and to continue eating at my favourite downstairs restaurant.
Strangely, whilst attempting to enter, all I could hear was 'I'm a back door man' by the Doors!!!!
Butt! well done to all that made it up there.
Wendle - Sunday, January 20, 2008
Ahhh the Oxo - only problem is with parking which can be quite tight. I normally manoeuvre whilst the wife guides me into the back passage.

Alan - Sunday, January 20, 2008
Aah Bisto, I thought.
A lady like the oxo tower on a first date, if she doesn't then she's not clssy enough.
You need a bit of class in life like following Leeds Leeds Leeds
15 points who gives a f@@@ we're super Leeds and we're going up.
Mogsie - Sunday, January 20, 2008
I haven't tried the restaurant myself, but I did shag my girlfriend up the arse last night.
the calculator kid - Sunday, January 20, 2008
Treated My girlfriend to an evening up the OXO Tower just last night.
We had been booked into a neighbouring restaurant only to discover it has under going a refurbishment.
They had had the painters in and the décor was a ghastly shade of red that we didn't fancy dining in.
The OXO tower was very accommodating but they did have to dispose of our table cloth after we finished as we enjoyed ourselves so much we left a bit of mess.
JJMalone - Monday, January 21, 2008
I found the whole experience thrilling.
Access was a doddle, also...straight in via the Bovril Tunnel.
- Monday, January 21, 2008
Feb 2018
11:08am, 15 Feb 2018
29,281 posts
  •  
Hendo
"Other venues make your day, but the Tower makes your whole week... "
Feb 2018
1:55pm, 15 Feb 2018
120 posts
  •  
iRicey
That is a lot to take in...
Feb 2018
2:47pm, 15 Feb 2018
8,320 posts
  •  
Watford Wobble
It's a whopper that McG.

I've only ever seen it from the floor?
Feb 2018
6:22pm, 16 Feb 2018
605 posts
  •  
Geprig
Once read, never forgotten

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by
Errors in routes generated by Garmin