Garmin recovery time, VO2 max and race predictors

8 watchers
azx
Jun 2020
6:21pm, 8 Jun 2020
9 posts
  •  
azx
Interestingly, I signed up to runalyze the other day and looking at the stats there it thinks I can do a 24:08 5k based on my HR from my 26:55 5k. I find that a bit hard to believe. I really was feeling like I was going to give up on the last 3 laps and had to play mind games to keep going.
Jun 2020
9:31am, 9 Jun 2020
1,682 posts
  •  
Brunski
Since writing the opening post my device has been playing far nicer for me.

Best thing I did was turning off auto detect max HR, as this picks up on those annoying spikes most monitors have at some point and then adjust all your numbers based on that.

It's still a bit optimistic in general, but find the recovery times useful as a guide.
azx
Jun 2020
10:01am, 9 Jun 2020
10 posts
  •  
azx
I think I understand it a bit more now. The prediction seems to be based on being able to run a 5k at about average 95% max HR, whereas I'm doing about 91% at the moment. I dug around in some old garmin logs and found some old park runs I did a few years ago. I was running about average 94% max HR in those.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Brunski
Up until now I've generally accepted the recovery times on Garmin as being pretty accurate (I h...