Garmin not talking to laptop

2 watchers
Dec 2012
7:36pm, 18 Dec 2012
2,280 posts
  •  
Duchess
I have a Garmin 205 that normally works fine, I plug into the laptop and it loads happily into the Garmin training log ... and more importantly into Fetch.

As of this morning, it won't. I keep getting the message no Garmin found. It's plugged in as normal and is actually claiming to be charging so there doesn't seem to be any problem with the physical connection.

Any suggestions? I have coins and Goreillas to claim!
Dec 2012
8:26pm, 18 Dec 2012
7,336 posts
  •  
Gymfreak
That happened to my 705 a few months ago and I've never been able to make them talk to each other since :( bad times. I hope u find a fix for yours.
Dec 2012
8:28pm, 18 Dec 2012
169 posts
  •  
Looby Loo
Can't help but I am also having trouble I have a newish 410 which uses the ant stick and also have a 305 which I use sometimes. Mine won't recognise the old 305 so if anyone knows what's wrong with mine too.

Sorry for highjacking your thread Duchess!

It could be your software needs updating...
Dec 2012
8:31pm, 18 Dec 2012
2,639 posts
  •  
HermanBloom
I have had that a few times with mine. A re-start of the laptop has always fixed it though. Not sure what to suggest if it is carrying on past that.
Dec 2012
8:50pm, 18 Dec 2012
8,236 posts
  •  
ChrisHB
I have known the Ant+ program to fail. In that case, restarting it (start +> ANT agent) works. Also, making the watch do a Force Send. Also, and this is a user error, make sure the stopwatch isn't still running.
Dec 2012
9:06pm, 18 Dec 2012
170 posts
  •  
Looby Loo
HermanBloom the restart of the lap top seems to have sorted mine thanks.

ChrisHB If I have problems with the 410 I will try the antstick thing thanks.
Dec 2012
9:13pm, 18 Dec 2012
7,064 posts
  •  
Boab
The import step on Fetch crashes my firefox everytime without fail. I've also had intermittent problems when importing more than a couple of days training on the one go. Sometimes they import, sometimes some of them do and sometimes nothing imports. A different problem, I know, but just another in the long list of this particularly flaky software.
Dec 2012
9:17pm, 18 Dec 2012
2,282 posts
  •  
Duchess
I am (allegedly) an IT professional. "Switch it off, count to 10 and switch it back on again" did not occur to me as a solution.... :-( Clearly that is grounds for my immediate sacking on grounds of utter incompetence.

But it worked.

Which is more than downloading the bloody USB software six times did.

Thanks Herman, et al.
Dec 2012
9:17pm, 18 Dec 2012
1,100 posts
  •  
HuwH
It would be worth trying to see if you can download data in garmin training center or upload to garmin connect that would tell you the usb driver is working. If not then try reinstalling the usb driver. If it work try using chrome or firefox, I have a number of different browsers that I cycle through until I can upload to fetch. Some work some days some days they dont. I have a 305
Dec 2012
9:19pm, 18 Dec 2012
8,238 posts
  •  
ChrisHB
Sorry, Duchess. As a fellow alleged IT professional I had to restrain myself from suggesting that.

About This Thread

Maintained by Duchess
I have a Garmin 205 that normally works fine, I plug into the laptop and it loads happily into the G...