Garmin Connect "Authorisation key"

4 watchers
Jul 2016
12:54pm, 2 Jul 2016
7,847 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
I'm having issues in getting my 310xt to upload to Garmin Connect (and henceforth to Fetch).

It seems to be pulling from the watch the PC, but then not uploading further from the ANT+ usb thing.

I keep getting an error message saying:

"Encountered an invalid Garmin Connect Authorisation Key. You will need to repeat the Garmin authorisation process. Contact Garmin etc"

I've put my Garmin connect Username and password into it, but it comes up with the same error message. Yet, I can log in to Garmin Connect online using that username and password.

Do I need to delete the .xml pairing file thing and then re-pair?

Any other ideas?
Jul 2016
2:02pm, 2 Jul 2016
3,297 posts
  •  
ndellar
I would try re pairing. Don't think I ever had that error but on occasions with the 310xt I even removed, rebooted pic and re installed the Ant+ software as part of the process of trying to sort out issues.
Jul 2016
2:07pm, 2 Jul 2016
7,849 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
I tried re-pairing (removing the device from the ANT+ software first) and no joy.

Keep getting the same error.

Managed to do a manual upload to Garmin Connect for the time being, so have uploaded everything. Could try a hard reset of the Garmin, but I doubt that'll work as it seems to be a software issue.
Jul 2016
2:11pm, 2 Jul 2016
7,535 posts
  •  
Badger
Are you using Garmin Express? This thread forums.garmin.com suggests Garmin have finally dumped ANT agent sync completely, and trying to use it gives the error you're seeing.
Jul 2016
2:30pm, 2 Jul 2016
7,852 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Hmm. No, I am not using Garmin Express.
Jul 2016
4:16pm, 2 Jul 2016
8,291 posts
  •  
♪♫ Synge ♪♫
I have found this same problem. I have a 310XT. Until today I have been using the Ant Agent to upload to Garmin Connect, which automatically updates strava which automatically updates Fetch.

I received exactly the same error message as quoted above: "invalid ... authorization key ...". I have followed the prompt to install Garmin Express. It tells me it has picked up my Garmin and it seems to have disabled the Ant Agent.

I cannot see how to transfer data without Ant Agent. The cable for the 310XT is a charging cable only and does not carry data, so I don't understand how the data can ever be picked up again without Ant Agent.

Anyone else got any further with this?
Jul 2016
4:21pm, 2 Jul 2016
7,537 posts
  •  
Badger
You do still need the ANT dongle (you're exactly right about the cable); Garmin Express communicates with the dongle without needing ANT agent to do it, though, and it always disabled ANT agent when installed so you didn't get both programs trying to upload the same data and causing duplicates.
Jul 2016
4:33pm, 2 Jul 2016
168 posts
  •  
darl0
I've been having this problem as well, just installed Garmin Express and it seems to be ok now.
Jul 2016
5:10pm, 2 Jul 2016
8,294 posts
  •  
♪♫ Synge ♪♫
I ran the sync routine from within Garmin Express and it told me the sync was successful with a current datestamp, but the new runs did not show. I had to add the .tcx files manually from the AppData/Roaming/Garmin/Devices/.../History file to get them across. Will see if it goes better next time.
Jul 2016
5:18pm, 2 Jul 2016
7,540 posts
  •  
Badger
If they'd already been transferred from watch to computer, the watch should have tagged them transferred and wouldn't send them again, unless you use the Transfer All option on the watch. So every chance it'll be better next time.

About This Thread

Maintained by rf_fozzy
I'm having issues in getting my 310xt to upload to Garmin Connect (and henceforth to Fetch).

It ...