Garmin bike computer GPS

2 watchers
Apr 2016
8:12am, 23 Apr 2016
5,899 posts
  •  
*Anj*
I recently bought the Garmin edge 810. Seems very good so far. Logs as per normal garmins but can upload routes and navigates. Comes with very basic map so need to purchase more detailed ones if you want proper navigation capability.
Apr 2016
3:27pm, 23 Apr 2016
11,450 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
hmmm 810 nice but bit pricey for my use.

I want to upload a route and for the display to say turn here ... so basic pre-planned navigation
Apr 2016
4:32pm, 23 Apr 2016
216 posts
  •  
Oranj
I think the Etrex series might be what you're after. Cheaper and generally a bit less sophisticated than the Edge series (no powermeter compatibility for instance), and they run off AA batteries. Quite a lot of riders in the Audax community use them, which is a pretty good endorsement.
Apr 2016
4:43pm, 23 Apr 2016
11,451 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
Will look then! Thanks
Apr 2016
2:41pm, 30 Apr 2016
11,454 posts
  •  
EvilPixie
went for the 520 as it had live tracking which will make me feel safer.
when I've done longer rides before they have ended up as boring shorter laps as I was scared about not being found by hubby if there was a problem which live tracking will solve.
I also had to memorise routes but being able to send a course will be great
happy birthday me!
Jun 2016
9:29pm, 25 Jun 2016
4,504 posts
  •  
WolfDancer
For replacing the very very basic maps on your 520 try this
onemanengine.com

Ive done it to mine and the maps are great. Keep your file size down to around 80-90mb though. Ive got most of Scotland in at 79MB

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by EvilPixie
Dear fetchies I'm considering the purchase of a bike garmin preferably one that I can load a map to...