Garmin advice

4 watchers
Sep 2022
8:59pm, 9 Sep 2022
1,001 posts
  •  
Cotty67
After having the same Garmin Forerunner for many years I have decided it's time for an upgrade. Whatvis the best one to get ? Not interested in heart rate, all I really want is how many miles at what pace and the route . Thanks
Sep 2022
7:45am, 10 Sep 2022
14,811 posts
  •  
chunkywizard
What your budget? Do you want the latest or will a last generation cheaper alternative do?

Base: FR55, FR45 (older)
Mid: FR255, 245 (older)
High: FR955, FR945, FR745, FR645 (last three all older)

If you want maps then I believe it’s on the 255 other wise you need a high end device. They all have HR these days.

You can also go 2 generations old for some real bargains but then they will do less.
Sep 2022
9:24am, 10 Sep 2022
1,864 posts
  •  
Steve NordRunner
Could you clarify whar you mean by route? If you mean to see the route you have followed, then a base-level watch will do, since it is the website that overlays your route on a map to show where you have been. If you want to plan a route then follow it, that's another level. Finally, if you want that planned route shown on your watch (or your progress bredcrumb trail) to be overlaid on a map than that's a higher level again.
um
Sep 2022
11:48am, 10 Sep 2022
6,476 posts
  •  
um
How soon do you want it? It's getting to the time of year when it's almost worth waiting for the last week of Nov reductions.
Sep 2022
9:36am, 12 Sep 2022
43,804 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
I've had Garmins since 2008 and I've never used any features other than distance, time and pace on watch, and then looking at all that gives you on the computer (the route, pace, elevation and now HR).

I've never put even workouts on the watch. Nor routes. If I want a route, I use a map or phone. For workouts I just look at the time and distance on watch. Or train on a fixed distance, like a track!

New features (lifestyle) that I like on watch are ability to pay, having my parkrun barcode on it. Mine also has music on it, but I never use that either! I am now Vivoactive 4 - £229 or less in sales. :-) G
Sep 2022
9:48am, 12 Sep 2022
34,682 posts
  •  
Ocelot Spleens
If all you want is pace, Route and distance. After all they are all that actually matters. Stick with a forerunner. Go on holiday with the money saved.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Cotty67
After having the same Garmin Forerunner for many years I have decided it's time for an upgrade. Whatvis the best one to get ? Not interested in heart rate, all I really want is how many miles at what pace and the route . Thanks