Garmin advice

1 watcher
Mar 2015
5:49pm, 24 Mar 2015
18,492 posts
  •  
sioux
A friend has asked me which Garmin I would recommend for her.
She wants it to do

Maps
Pace
Race against self/virtual trainer
?Hrm

I've had a look and thought be helpful to get some feedback off you guys.
She isn't bothered about the cost so long as it does what she wants but doesn't want to pay for stuff she'll never use.

As I've got a 910XT I know that's not the watch for her.

So folks, waddya reckon?

Forerunner 10, 15, 210 or 220 and why
Mar 2015
6:05pm, 24 Mar 2015
3,643 posts
  •  
Winded
This guy dcrainmaker.com has reviewed them all ( i think) and many competitors too. He might have too much information in some of his reviews.

Maps? Does she mean to see where she has been on a pc afterwards or have a sat nav with screen with a map on it telling her where to go? If she needs directions does she really need a map or are breadcrumb directions enough?

I have a 210, it is fine. I have an 800, it does bike stuff really well. Mrs W gave me a Garmin Swim because I moan about losing count after 40 or 50 laps of the pool and it is a revelation. Not the swimming stuff (which is good) but the wireless auto data upload stuff. If I was buying now I would get one with wireless, set garmin connect to automatically upload to fetch & strava and not have to plug the thing in every time - it sounds like a small feature but wireless is great - especially with the 210 where the data connection is a bit hit & miss - or maybe I have a dodgy cable clip thingy.
Mar 2015
6:05pm, 24 Mar 2015
175 posts
  •  
chunkywizard
If you want maps then I think you need a Fenix. Without maps If you want virtual pacer you need 2xx I think. 10 and 15 are basic (but good and cheap), the 15 has step count integrated. 220 is a great watch if it's in budget but if you want a good comparison site check out dcrainmaker.com

HTH

CW
Mar 2015
7:08pm, 24 Mar 2015
18,495 posts
  •  
sioux
Thanks guys.

Yup I love the wireless upload thingy too tho I do need an ANT+ stick for mine.
which I feel totally lost without my 910xt and IT has rendered my totally hopeless at counting in the pool
Mar 2015
7:15pm, 24 Mar 2015
18,496 posts
  •  
sioux
I presumed she meant maps on the pc after.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Sushi
A friend has asked me which Garmin I would recommend for her.
She wants it to do

Maps
Pace
Ra...