Garmin

203 watchers
Nov 2021
10:09pm, 26 Nov 2021
5,093 posts
  •  
quimby
I should report back about my recent Garmins. When I sent my borked Vivoactive 4S back (the one that got really hot and stopped working), they didn't have any refurbished models in stock, so I bought a stopgap of a 45S. Which was fine, but I very much missed Garmin Pay. I had actually saved up for a Fenix, hoping a new model would be out soon. There was no sniff of it, though (and there still isn't), so I decided I'd buy the Fenix 6S. It is a lovely watch. BUT. I simply didn't get on with the shape/weight. I'm not going to say size, exactly, because the watch face size was not the issue. It was simply that bit heavier and thicker than other watches, and, even when I did the strap up pretty tight (tighter than I normally would), I still felt the weight pulling it towards the bony bit of my wrist. I persevered with it for a month, but, with the return window narrowing, decided to return it, and bought a Forerunner 745 instead. That was very much the right decision. The 6S felt like a constant presence on my wrist. The 745, I don't notice - as I didn't with the 4S. For reference, my wrist circumference is 5.5" (14cm).

My replacement 4S came just over a month after I returned the original. Perfect replacement, but I have decided to stay with the 745 as I have had a couple of issues with sleeve/rain interaction with the touch screen on the 4S. The 45S or or the 4S are likely to be handed down to my partner, who is currently using my old Vivoactive 3 - he's starting to have some battery issues with that now.

What I would say is, if you are in any doubt about whether a watch will suit you, I found the Amazon return/refund process flawless. I got to try the 6S for a month, and got a full refund.
Nov 2021
11:14pm, 26 Nov 2021
749 posts
  •  
njosmith
I am having a minor issue with my 725xt where my watch appears to be trying to update after every run. I have heard that once newer models have been released the older models are not updated and this may be part of the problem?

The main issue is once the 'update' is finished the watch doesn't go back to stand by mode but 'activity' mode with GPS enabled and obviously this uses more battery. Does anyone have this issue and fixed it? I have tried various thing to force an update but no joy yet.
Nov 2021
1:09am, 27 Nov 2021
20,147 posts
  •  
flanker
Older models still receive updates, but only security and bug fix updates, not (normally) new features.

Have you tried plugging it in and updating with whatever the current iteration of Garmin desktop software is called?
Nov 2021
4:28am, 27 Nov 2021
751 posts
  •  
njosmith
I haven't tried that. I have established the update version I have is 9.80. this seems to be higher than the version I can download to Garmin Express which is 9.37 unless anyone knows otherwise.
Nov 2021
7:13am, 27 Nov 2021
13,006 posts
  •  
chunkywizard
You need to update to each new version maybe. So plug into GE, update, unplug, install, plug into GE, update, install etc. try that and see if it works.
Nov 2021
7:17am, 27 Nov 2021
10,638 posts
  •  
Sigh
That's a good outcome quimby. I think Ness also has the 745 and likes hers.

I much prefer the watches that I don't notice I'm wearing, too.
um
Nov 2021
10:34am, 27 Nov 2021
5,471 posts
  •  
um
njo - I had a 735 auto update last year that stopped the watch loading.
There were quite a few moans about it on the US website. I called/chatted to UK support and they didn't have any indication of it on their systems, but sent me a link to the previous version.

Then over the weekend they mailed & called me to say a bug had been found and there was an emergency fix released.

And called me again the next week to check it was all OK.

I was impressed with their follow up and reaction to it.
Nov 2021
3:56pm, 27 Nov 2021
5,094 posts
  •  
quimby
njosmith I don't know the answer to your question, but I've had help in the past from both Reddit and the Garmin forums:

reddit.com
forums.garmin.com
Nov 2021
5:53pm, 27 Nov 2021
1,807 posts
  •  
jelly (limegreenjelly)
I absolutely love my fenix 6s, I don’t notice I’m wearing it! Can’t believe that price it £450 when I purchased mine in February! I took advantage of the ‘pay monthly’ instalments on Amazon.
Dec 2021
2:26pm, 4 Dec 2021
15,869 posts
  •  
rf_fozzy
Ok so I have a new Garmin

It tells me that I need to download Garmin connect to my phone to be able to download stuff.

Yet apparently I can't download Garmin connect for my phone. Don't know why. It's a newish phone.

Can I pair with my old ANT+ stick from my 310XT and download that way??

If not.....

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
For all questions and comments about Garmin devices, including importing to Fetch.