Welcome To Fetcheveryone

Our awesome training log doesn't hide its best features behind a paywall. Search thousands of events, get advice, play games, measure routes, and more! Join our friendly community of runners, cyclists, and swimmers.
Click here to get started
Already a Fetchie? Sign in here

Garmin

3 lurkers | 186 watchers
18 Sep
12:38am, 18 Sep 2021
6880 posts
  •  
The_Saint
In 1975?
As for water ratings of watches
watcho.co.uk
18 Sep
7:42am, 18 Sep 2021
15421 posts
  •  
larkim
Pretty misleading to the average consumer, no?

Mind you, I've swum with just about every watch I've owned with varying depth ratings and never had an issue.
18 Sep
10:35am, 18 Sep 2021
6881 posts
  •  
The_Saint
Very misleading as water is a bugger to keep out of anything. As I said, my Swiss automatic watch is rated at 150 metres but I still try not to get it wet even if it has just been serviced and pressure tested.
20 Sep
9:45am, 20 Sep 2021
1033 posts
  •  
Jubear
Anyone else here put routes onto their Garmin from the Connect app?
There seems to be a bug with the App software where it declares all your devices incompatible - but only for adding routes. It still uploads, so if you don't use your Garmin for directions you might not have noticed.
20 Sep
9:53am, 20 Sep 2021
4233 posts
  •  
StuH
Working fine for me, Connect app -> Fenix 5
20 Sep
11:20am, 20 Sep 2021
20002 posts
  •  
flanker
likewise, iOS App -> F5X+. Do it regularly.
20 Sep
11:27am, 20 Sep 2021
15434 posts
  •  
larkim
Android or iOS Jubear? I've added routes via the app relatively recently (Android) though it doesn't work as intuitively as I'd like.
20 Sep
3:25pm, 20 Sep 2021
1034 posts
  •  
Jubear
Oh interesting. IOS. Forerunner and Edge (and old Edge) appear in my device list, connected and everything, but as incompatible for adding a route.

Suddenly stopped working on Friday night when I wanted to add a route for the weekend's sportive.

Garmin Forum suggests a few people have this issue and blames the Connect app: it does work if you go through the browser (which I didn't know until after the weekend 🤦‍♀️)
20 Sep
3:55pm, 20 Sep 2021
5017 posts
  •  
quimby
I am new to using the pace alerts on a Garmin. I'm supposed to be aiming for 13:10 - 13:40 min miles on my easy runs. I set the pace alerts and they are *constantly* going off. I don't think my pace is that terribly variable, but unless you are on a track, how can you keep your pace that constant? Hills, crossing roads, jumping over slugs, etc. Is there a more, well, averagey sort of alert? Maybe one that tells you if your current *average* pace goes above/below a limit, rather than your current actual pace?
20 Sep
4:08pm, 20 Sep 2021
15439 posts
  •  
larkim
I find pace alerts quite annoying because they use "instant" pace - i.e. the pace it thinks you're at at that moment. Whereas in reality GPSr watches are excellent at knowing how fast you've travelled the last 100m or so, but less good at knowing how fast you are travelling in the last couple of seconds.

These days I just keep an eye on average pace on the watch throughout the run, and don't bother with any alerts. I used to use a datafield which had pace over the most recent minute, or 400m or something like that, but in the end the combination of knowing what my average accumulated pace is at any point in the run plus the pace on the current lap keeps me honest.

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
For all questions and comments about Garmin devices, including importing to Fetch.