Garmin - which one?

4 watchers
May 2011
11:23pm, 9 May 2011
2,727 posts
  •  
Badger
Just saw your message of the 3rd May. 110 and 305 both record elevation, but only the 305 can display it as you run.
The 305 is a much more capable watch
May 2011
2:32pm, 10 May 2011
161 posts
  •  
tiamo69
cheers badger, that's the conclusion i'd come to...

thx for info/update here & on other thread...

get 305 & then, in around 2 years, upgrade when i start getting into Tris!
May 2011
6:20pm, 30 May 2011
901 posts
  •  
adrianb1066
Just ordered a 110 through Amazon (but can return it for refund less return postage).

Ordered it give my marathon training some figures but re-reading the specs can it show CURRENT PACE as opposed to AVERAGE PACE? ie. When interval training for example you need to do 6*800m at 7 minutes/mile does it show your current speed or only your AVERAGE SPEED after 1 mile?

I really need a current pace to know if I need to speed up/down and an average pace after 1 mile would be too late.

If the 110 doesn't do this what model does cheaply?
May 2011
7:23pm, 30 May 2011
82 posts
  •  
Lo-Jo
110 does show an elevation graph when you dowload your run, you can also re-play your run and follow it on the graphs against speed and time. I think if you set the watch to laps you can do intervals that way, I haven' t tried that though. Also you can set it to smaller distances than a mile so you'll get your pace after each .25 mile for example.It does show pace as you go along then gives you an average after the activity. You can see all details in download.
May 2011
7:31pm, 30 May 2011
903 posts
  •  
adrianb1066
Thanks Lo-Jo never used a GPS before so any help with doing intervals much appreciated :-)
Oct 2012
2:40pm, 15 Oct 2012
4,399 posts
  •  
Smout
Random thread revival....

Anybody have a 210? If so what fields are displayed on the screen?

I'm in the market to replace my 405 which I've been v happy with but it is starting to take more an more shortcuts thru hedges an walls while I'm certain I ran the long way round! Today it also looks like it's decided to steam up a little inside which can only have been from a soggy run on Thursday (I think this happened before and it did clear but not sure how long or if I help it along). I don't use most of the features on my 405 and quite like the more watchlike feel of the 210 I did try in a shop. In the shop we came to the conclusion you couldn't change the feilds but then I started wondering again....

It seems you don't have the option to amend the screens an the picture of a display I saw looked like 'dist' and *something* (not sure if 'pace' or 'time') as static fields top and bottom but it was shown with HR in the middle. If you don't use HR what does this field show? I have seen others that maybe look like overall Time is in the middle.

I'm assuming when doing intervals the pace of the interval (rather than overall pace) is on screen (descriptions read like you can see the pace of your intervals) however on a normal run with no HR monitor.... Is it possible to see the current lap (mile) avg pace?
Oct 2012
4:03pm, 15 Oct 2012
3,454 posts
  •  
Badger
I replaced mine with a 610, but as best I remember:

From top to bottom:
Distance
Time
Pace or speed. This can be set to pace or speed, and to be either overall average, lap pace/speed, or current pace/speed. So that's a yes to your last question.

There is a second page which shows HR instead of total time, a third (optional) page with the current firmware which shows you the current lap time, distance and pace, and yet another page which you see when you are doing intervals.
Only settable options are how you set display of pace and speed, and whether you have the lap page visible.
Oct 2012
4:22pm, 15 Oct 2012
1,289 posts
  •  
postieboy
I have a 210, and apart from mine being a little temperamental, it's simple and has an excellent battery life as it can be used as an everyday watch as well. The intervals function is easy to use so setting up your own speed session is a piece of cake. Only downside is the HRM strap having a short lifespan. I'm on my third one in 18 months but that will only concern you if you use it.

As for field display for regular running, you have distance run at the top, average or current pace at the bottom (choose option from menu) and the current time in the middle. For HR and previous lap, you can scroll though whilst on the move to have it on the main view.
Oct 2012
4:41pm, 15 Oct 2012
7,010 posts
  •  
Caterpillar
a1066 - Not sure if you can do this on the 310 but on my 405 I have the display set to show two displays on a fast auto-scroll.

1) Lap Pace + Lap Distance
2) Total Time + Total Distance + Average Pace
plus
3) Virtual Partner (enabled)

The Lap Pace and Lap Distance is great. As a new lap starts it is a bit variable for fifty metres or so, but it settles quite quickly and then I know whether I am a second (per mile or per km) up or a second (per mile or km) down on my desired pace just over the current lap (which I always set to be either 1 mile or 1 km).

It makes it really easy to be deadly accurate on pacing.

I tried using Current Pace but it seems a bit variable. One second I'm doing 6:15 per mile and three paces later I'm doing 8:56. Unless you are watching it constantly it doesn't tell you anything helpful.

I experimented with Current Heading, but I never found it useful to be told I was heading N, SE, W, or NW.

Same with Current Altitude. I can see when I'm going up or down hill. :-)
Oct 2012
4:51pm, 15 Oct 2012
10,704 posts
  •  
Stander
I never had any issue with my 405 and the rain. I only replaced it as the battery life seemed to be getting much shorter. Got a 610. I like the watch aspect if both if them as opposed to the chunky 310. I don't use all the features (too lazy to find out how). Battery life on the 610 seems much better than my 405 even when my 495 was new.

About This Thread

Maintained by Minnie Mad
Christmas is coming and Santa is bringing me a Garmin, but which one should I tell him to bring?