Ganglion advice sought

2 watchers
Aug 2012
10:51am, 1 Aug 2012
1,351 posts
  •  
minardi.
My running buddy has developed a ganglion on the bridge of her foot after last week's long run. She has been to see her doctor (who runs) and has been advised that she needs an operation but he is happy to wait until our Budapest marathon is out of the way as the op has a 3 month recovery time. He said that she could carry on running but to do more cross-training and cycling and less running mileage. He also said that she should go back to him if it gets painful.
We went for a short run last night and her ganglion has gotten larger since then and aches.
Does anyone have any experience of one of these lumpy buggers and if so, any advice?
Aug 2012
10:56am, 1 Aug 2012
9,933 posts
  •  
Ultracat
I got one on my elbow, GP said it might go of its own accord if it got worse to go back and I would be referred for an op. A couple of weeks later I fell whilst out running and I bashed my elbow so hard it was gone.
Aug 2012
11:04am, 1 Aug 2012
1,352 posts
  •  
minardi.
I did offer to whack her foot with a brick but she declined the offer! Perhaps I should just accidentally stomp on her foot when she's not looking
Aug 2012
11:09am, 1 Aug 2012
9,934 posts
  •  
Ultracat
It's unfortunate she has it on her foot, mine didn't hurt at all.
Aug 2012
11:34am, 1 Aug 2012
21,179 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
It is possible to make an incision over a ganglion and squeeze out the thick jelly-like contents, though they tend to grow again afterwards. A procedure of that nature wouldn't need a lot of recovery time (she could probably run again the following day) and would allow her to train comfortably.

I have a tiny ganglion on my right wrist. It comes and goes and doesn't bother me.
Aug 2012
12:11pm, 1 Aug 2012
5,445 posts
  •  
geordiegirl
I had a ganglion on the palm of my left hand tendon to ring finger, I was booked in to have it removed but got there and it had shrunk of its own accord and now has totally gone, they seem to have a mind of their own. Hopefully hers will miraculously disappear too.

Nice profile pic V-Rap :)
May 2021
10:09pm, 5 May 2021
6,281 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
I don't know how I didn't see it before, but I have just noticed a large one (golf ball size) on the top of my right foot. Doesn't hurt at all but a bit unsightly. I'll book a GP appointment tomorrow given its size although it might go away in due course.

May have been the result of my running shoes almost at their retirement as I have no foot injury I can think of.
May 2021
10:20pm, 5 May 2021
51,312 posts
  •  
Lip Gloss
I have one on each of my middle fingers which can get really sore but each have also had the incision and the glue like jelly taken out. Wouldn't like one on my foot though :-O
May 2021
11:09pm, 7 May 2021
6,293 posts
  •  
Surrey Phil
Having them on your fingers must be hard because of the nerves, LG. Do you have to keep going back to get them drained?

My GP is arranging an x-ray to confirm that it is a ganglion cyst and not a lipoma. He is adamant that it will need removing rather than just draining in case it returns.

I am more concerned about the recovery time which I have read to be two weeks or more as it may impact on my marathon training. At present, I'm just thankful that it does not hurt and I can still wear my running shoes. Which means that I can carry on as normal for the time being.
May 2021
11:18pm, 7 May 2021
51,367 posts
  •  
Lip Gloss
Sometimes Phil they can flare up and they are very sore and I can’t bend my fingers. Did get one removed but it came back. Was due to get the other one removed just before lockdown last year so when it was at it worst I just sat and squeezed the living the daylights out of it just to the relief from the pain.

Good luck with yours

About This Thread

Maintained by minardi
My running buddy has developed a ganglion on the bridge of her foot after last week's long run. Sh...