Welcome To Fetcheveryone

Our awesome training log doesn't hide its best features behind a paywall. Search thousands of events, get advice, play games, measure routes, and more! Join our friendly community of runners, cyclists, and swimmers.
Click here to get started
Already a Fetchie? Sign in here

Ganglion advice sought

1 watcher
Aug 2012
10:51am, 1 Aug 2012
1351 posts
minardi.
My running buddy has developed a ganglion on the bridge of her foot after last week's long run. She has been to see her doctor (who runs) and has been advised that she needs an operation but he is happy to wait until our Budapest marathon is out of the way as the op has a 3 month recovery time. He said that she could carry on running but to do more cross-training and cycling and less running mileage. He also said that she should go back to him if it gets painful.
We went for a short run last night and her ganglion has gotten larger since then and aches.
Does anyone have any experience of one of these lumpy buggers and if so, any advice?
Aug 2012
10:56am, 1 Aug 2012
9933 posts
Ultracat
I got one on my elbow, GP said it might go of its own accord if it got worse to go back and I would be referred for an op. A couple of weeks later I fell whilst out running and I bashed my elbow so hard it was gone.
Aug 2012
11:04am, 1 Aug 2012
1352 posts
minardi.
I did offer to whack her foot with a brick but she declined the offer! Perhaps I should just accidentally stomp on her foot when she's not looking
Aug 2012
11:09am, 1 Aug 2012
9934 posts
Ultracat
It's unfortunate she has it on her foot, mine didn't hurt at all.
Aug 2012
11:34am, 1 Aug 2012
21179 posts
Velociraptor
It is possible to make an incision over a ganglion and squeeze out the thick jelly-like contents, though they tend to grow again afterwards. A procedure of that nature wouldn't need a lot of recovery time (she could probably run again the following day) and would allow her to train comfortably.

I have a tiny ganglion on my right wrist. It comes and goes and doesn't bother me.
Aug 2012
12:11pm, 1 Aug 2012
5445 posts
geordiegirl
I had a ganglion on the palm of my left hand tendon to ring finger, I was booked in to have it removed but got there and it had shrunk of its own accord and now has totally gone, they seem to have a mind of their own. Hopefully hers will miraculously disappear too.

Nice profile pic V-Rap :)

Got something to say?

To contribute to the discussion, you need to either sign in or register as a user.

About This Thread

Maintained by minardi
My running buddy has developed a ganglion on the bridge of her foot after last week's long run. Sh...

Close