Game of Thrones

61 watchers
8 Apr
7:19am, 8 Apr 2024
42,621 posts
  •  
Nellers
That kid has a lot to carry with the Dunc and Egg stories. Having a series rest of a child actor is a lot. GoT aged the Stark kids up to avoid that problem (mostly. Rickon was always a bit of a problem).
8 Apr
7:27am, 8 Apr 2024
24,536 posts
  •  
Meglet
Is he the same age through the stories? Maybe they’ll recast?
8 Apr
7:28am, 8 Apr 2024
24,537 posts
  •  
Meglet
They also got round it in HotD S1 by having young Alicent and Rhaenyra. Though only one season. That worked well as the casting was great.
8 Apr
9:04am, 8 Apr 2024
42,622 posts
  •  
Nellers
Alicent and Rhaenyra were teens. Egg, in the first book is maybe 9? Getting a kid who looks 9 and can carry scenes is going to be tough. If they've done it then it's going to be a huge win for them. He does age through the stories but in the 3rd one (the last one published so far) he's maybe 11?

(I'm going from memory. I'd bet
8 Apr
9:05am, 8 Apr 2024
42,623 posts
  •  
Nellers
Oops!

(I'm going from memory. I'd bet Valyrian Plastic has the facts to hand.)
8 Apr
10:52am, 8 Apr 2024
8,647 posts
  •  
Valyrian Plastic
It's not confirmed how exactly they'll go about adapting the stories, given that they are so short, but that also means they might be able to put them out annually, which would allow the characters to age at the same rate as the actors. There won't be many other recurring figures in the stories, since they go all over the map, from Storm's End all the way to Winterfell.

Re: Alicent and Rhaenyra, the latter is actually aged up considerably in the show, being 9 years younger in Fire and Blood. I would compare this to how Robert Baratheon was over 6ft tall in the books but was of a height with Ned in the show. IMO both of these changes helped to sell the character relationships.
8 Apr
11:24am, 8 Apr 2024
42,625 posts
  •  
Nellers
Aging up characters to avoid having child actors in key rolls has served them well in a lot of instances (and avoided some on-screen ickiness with some of the situations book characters find themselves in!) but that just doesn’t look like an option with Dunk and Egg.

One of the core things about the pair is how young Egg is. If you’re hey had a 15 year old Egg I’m not sure that the stories could work. I might be wrong, though, but the kid they’ve cast looks young enough to play 9yoa.

Whether he has the acting skills to play Egg at that age is what I’m concerned about.
8 Apr
11:37am, 8 Apr 2024
8,648 posts
  •  
Valyrian Plastic
It's a good sign that he has some major acting credits to his name already.

The quality of the writing and directing will also be a deciding factor. It could be interesting to see how they go about adapting the stories that Martin hasn't written.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by HermanBloom
There was a thread. 100% sure of that. Seems to have vanished.

No idea if the show will feed an e...