Furman Institute of Running and Scientific Training (F.I.R.S.T.) acolytes!

118 watchers
Jan 2022
2:28pm, 5 Jan 2022
16,420 posts
  •  
larkim
This is the Garmin tool I used - it's a data field.

apps.garmin.com
Jan 2022
5:34pm, 6 Jan 2022
32 posts
  •  
ES-335
Thanks for the detailed info larkim.

Much appreciated and I’ll definitely have a look at this method before next race day.
JPF
Jan 2022
5:47pm, 6 Jan 2022
69 posts
  •  
JPF
ES 335 - that's a great marathon time and your mile splits are brilliantly even. I've followed Furman for all my marathons over the years since 2008, as I love being able to mix in cycling with my running. I've had pretty consistent results - including some good 10Ks using the 10K plan.
I'm training for Manchester at the beginning of April, using furman, but with an extra 4th easy run + 2 biking days.
Do you have a next marathon lined up?

Interesting garmin tool Larkim. Are you training for anything major at the moment?
Jan 2022
6:28pm, 6 Jan 2022
35 posts
  •  
ES-335
Thanks JPF I think Furman suits me -3 days fits around life better.

I’m sure the split consistency comes from training to a specific pace with each run on the Plan.

I also like the cross training - which for me is rowing rather than cycling, although I do have a decent mountain bike that’s seldom used, road biking bores me and scares me in equal measures!

I also do a bit of strength work in the gym and boxing once a week, which is probably good cross training as well.

I’m aiming for Stratford in April - jumping on Furman 4 weeks in to make it a 12 week plan. I’ll be training in those other 4 weeks just not to the structured plan.
Jan 2022
7:03pm, 6 Jan 2022
16,444 posts
  •  
larkim
I'm running Manchester marathon so that's my sole aim at the moment, but I'm actually a pfitzinger and Douglas disciple when it comes to marathon training!
Apr 2023
8:24pm, 18 Apr 2023
46,370 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Anyone been doing Furman this year? :-) G
JPF
Apr 2023
8:56pm, 18 Apr 2023
70 posts
  •  
JPF
Ahh Happy G bumping up this thread. Yes, I followed it for Manchester where I ran 3:20. A bit slower than last year, but unfortunately I had Covid 3 weeks ago - and I am another year older, my final year as a MV55. I know that there are plenty of faster 59 year olds, but there are also plenty who have fallen by the wayside...
Apr 2023
7:46am, 19 Apr 2023
17,254 posts
  •  
Garfield
I may take it up after I start to regain fitness after a knee injury that's finally recovering. My lungs now need to catch up with my legs again...
JPF
Apr 2023
12:20pm, 19 Apr 2023
71 posts
  •  
JPF
Glad to read that your knee is finally recovering - hope you haven't been out for too long Garfield. The Furman plan comes in for criticism, but if you follow it exactly and do the aerobic cross training then I have found it works really well and keeps me injury and niggle free.
Apr 2023
1:31pm, 19 Apr 2023
17,258 posts
  •  
Garfield
6 months out...though I should have seen a physio sooner than I did! I could have been fixed sooner had I done so. I have options to cross train, so it will be interesting to see how I get on.

About This Thread

Maintained by Lalli
This thread is for those who are currently doing or want to do Furman type training, to share tips, log progress etc.

What is Furman? Simply, it's "Run 3 days, do non-running exercise for 2-3 other days". And that's it really!

Some links:
Furman home page: www2.furman.edu
Furman mara plan (you will need to copy and paste the link into your browser as this is a download document): www.wu.ece.ufl.edu/marathon%20training-first%20marathon.pdf
Runners World published version (another downloadable): www.runnersworld.co.uk/general/the...marathon-schedule/2493.html
Furman core/strength exercises: beginners.runnersworld.com
Furman cross training examples: www2.furman.edu

The book (other booksellers are available...! ) amazon.co.uk

http://www.fetcheveryone.com/blog-view.php?id=10866 - Link to lunaman's blog of his experiences of 2 marathons based on Furman. Really good read based on real-world.

My own (HappyG) marathon experience off back of 6 month's very-Furman training. Yes, it was a Peeb! http://www.fetcheveryone.com/blog-view.php?id=13263&y=2011&m=4#240604

And here's a nifty little pace calculator courtesy of lunaman: fellrnr.com

Upcoming target races...

March 2016
HappyG(rrr) - 20 March - Alloa Half

April 2016
GeologyRocks - 17 April - Brighton Marathon

FenlandRunner - 24 April - VMLM

Furman focus, will bring rewards.

(Pls let me (Lalli) know if you want to be added or removed from the side panel).
Good luck everyone!