Furman Institute of Running and Scientific Training (F.I.R.S.T.) acolytes!

118 watchers
Apr 2023
10:28pm, 19 Apr 2023
46,389 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Glad Furman still has a following. I think it has a place for those whose running is restricted but can invest time in cross train to get a best marathon experience. Enjoy! :-) G
Sep 2023
7:19pm, 10 Sep 2023
454 posts
  •  
boulders
I used FIRST for a couple of marathons in the 2010s. I'm back running again so keen to get going. Delighted to see the thread is still up and running!
Sep 2023
8:49pm, 10 Sep 2023
47,719 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Lol, glad to see you are still a fan boulders. :-) G
JPF
Sep 2023
7:31pm, 11 Sep 2023
73 posts
  •  
JPF
I am definitely a Furman fan. But there is another book worth reading: ‘IronFit’s Marathons after 40’ by Don & Melanie Fink. It is a more flexible approach. But as with First, you have to commit to the cross training

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Lalli
This thread is for those who are currently doing or want to do Furman type training, to share tips, log progress etc.

What is Furman? Simply, it's "Run 3 days, do non-running exercise for 2-3 other days". And that's it really!

Some links:
Furman home page: www2.furman.edu
Furman mara plan (you will need to copy and paste the link into your browser as this is a download document): www.wu.ece.ufl.edu/marathon%20training-first%20marathon.pdf
Runners World published version (another downloadable): www.runnersworld.co.uk/general/the...marathon-schedule/2493.html
Furman core/strength exercises: beginners.runnersworld.com
Furman cross training examples: www2.furman.edu

The book (other booksellers are available...! ) amazon.co.uk

http://www.fetcheveryone.com/blog-view.php?id=10866 - Link to lunaman's blog of his experiences of 2 marathons based on Furman. Really good read based on real-world.

My own (HappyG) marathon experience off back of 6 month's very-Furman training. Yes, it was a Peeb! http://www.fetcheveryone.com/blog-view.php?id=13263&y=2011&m=4#240604

And here's a nifty little pace calculator courtesy of lunaman: fellrnr.com

Upcoming target races...

March 2016
HappyG(rrr) - 20 March - Alloa Half

April 2016
GeologyRocks - 17 April - Brighton Marathon

FenlandRunner - 24 April - VMLM

Furman focus, will bring rewards.

(Pls let me (Lalli) know if you want to be added or removed from the side panel).
Good luck everyone!