Frozen Shoulder(s)

10 watchers
Jul 2020
10:00am, 18 Jul 2020
3,234 posts
  •  
Wombling Plodder (Welsh Womble)
Hi Susie, I only tick the age box too. Thanks for sharing your experience.

The lack of running is more to do with the bra issue. As some would say, I am very blessed in that area and need to wear a sports bra which I can’t get into a the moment without hurting myself.

The lack of sleep has been my main issue but I have found a way to get comfortable for most of the night.

I have also found a way to apply deodorant and just had a few inches trimmed off my hair so not so much to brush as it had got quite long. Just need to find a way to get clothes over my head now!!

I had my online hospital appointment yesterday and they are referring me for some physio support via phone/video plus an X-ray. I am also on the waitlist for an injection just in case the pain doesn’t improve.

When I originally did it back in March I thought I had torn something in my upper arm/shoulder as I had instant pain when I threw a ball.

Fingers crossed the pain subsides soon and I can improve on the mobility.
Jul 2020
8:35pm, 18 Jul 2020
30,713 posts
  •  
LazyDaisy
I'm sorry to hear about your painful experience WP. I have a much less painful shoulder, and it doesn't stop me sleeping, but when I wake in the morning my shoulder and neck are really stiff. I think it's a result of smashing my elbow a few years ago.

But my point of posting, is to suggest front fastening sports bras. I started using them when my mobility was limited while recovering from that broken elbow. I have some from M&S and my preferred ones are by Triumph. Might be worth a look?
Jul 2020
9:18am, 19 Jul 2020
3,238 posts
  •  
Wombling Plodder (Welsh Womble)
Thanks LazyDaisy - I will check them out. As I am well blessed I have never thought of front fastening.

Yesterday I banged my elbow (same side as shoulder) which sent an awful pain up/down my arm - much worst than a funny bone knock. I had to lay down as I felt faint and sick from the pain. I must admit I had a little cry too. I assume it is all related as the standard pain is between shoulder and elbow.
Feb 2021
10:28am, 12 Feb 2021
57,484 posts
  •  
Diogenes
Hello, Linds sent me here as I seem to have gotten myself a frozen shoulder.

I'm going to start with the physio exercises and see how they help. I don't think I have it as bad as many as it's not stopping me sleeping, just causing strong pain when I try and do certain movements.

I've been reading various articles about it and there are some fundamental things that are quite unclear, for example, what causes it and how it limits movement and causes pain? It also seems very mysterious that it reportedly goes away of its own accord after a while? Can anyone explain a little more?
Feb 2021
10:33am, 12 Feb 2021
57,485 posts
  •  
Diogenes
This article is the most helpful I've read so far

my.clevelandclinic.org
Feb 2021
11:13am, 12 Feb 2021
2,321 posts
  •  
SusiesueH
bad luck Dio, sorry to hear that. Interesting article, and interesting that the "symptoms and causes" doesn't explain any causes!

I can't explain as such but it was certainly my experience that it came on gradually, and I found myself increasingly having difficulty putting on a coat, fastening a bra and lifting my arm, and then it gradually went away after several months (9-12 at a guess) and one day I realised I didn't have any pain or limited movement.
Feb 2021
12:47pm, 12 Feb 2021
4,707 posts
  •  
quimby
I had this - one in each shoulder - a few years ago. I called it "trapped nerve" but never got a diagnosis. Couldn't put a sports bra on and had terrible trouble sleeping. The one thing which resonates with me, WP, is when you banged your elbow. I had similar - I was walking in the park, blew my nose, threw the tissue in the metal bin - one with a letterbox opening, and fairly gently knocked my knuckle on the bin mouth. The pain shot all the way up my arm and I swore. I felt nauseous and wobbly but didn't sit on a bench as I was starting to panic and decided I must make it back the 300 metres or so to work so I could pass out there. I made it back, didn't pass out, but had to sit quietly and breathe for a good while. Mine both went away without intervention, but it was months and months for each one. I lost a camping trip due to one - no way was I getting near an inflatable mattress.
Feb 2021
1:13pm, 12 Feb 2021
28,617 posts
  •  
macca 53
Is the arm lifting issue not a symptom of rotator cuff issues?
Feb 2021
2:04pm, 12 Feb 2021
44,952 posts
  •  
LindsD
Ah. There you are.

I've had one in each shoulder, or rather each of my shoulders has frozen. Each of them presented differently.

The reason you can't find a cause is that no one really knows. They are diagnosed on clinical presentation alone. I think mine is partly stress related. The second time I had it as you describe, with excruciating pain on certain movements.

I have found that only steroid injections and substantial physio manipulation has helped me, but other people do find it goes away without intervention. I still don't have full movement in my L shoulder but have given up after over 2 years and am just glad it doesn't hurt any more.
Feb 2021
2:05pm, 12 Feb 2021
44,953 posts
  •  
LindsD
I still do my stretches and strength exercises most days

About This Thread

Maintained by
I have recently commented on a thread about my dodgy shoulder and as it appears to be a common thing I thought I would start a new discussion (thanks to LindsD for the idea).

Anyhow I found this discussion from a few years back:
fetcheveryone.com/forum/frozen-shoulder-can-i-still-run-or-will-it-make-it-worse-55037/
which I thought I would include for some info.

#frozen #shoulder #msk #musculo #skeletal #musculoskeletal

NHS info: sussexmskpartnershipcentral.co.uk

NHS exercises: sussexmskpartnershipcentral.co.uk

Link from Dio - very interesting/ useful info
physio-pedia.com

Gentle neck exercises