Frozen shoulder, can I still run or will it make it worse?

2 watchers
Nov 2013
8:28pm, 8 Nov 2013
11,267 posts
  •  
Puffing Bertie
I have a frozen shoulder and i want to know if running will make it worse. It hurts all the time so when I do run I cant really tell if its worse or not.

The first mile or so it feels loose and wierd, but then it settles down. However I dont want to make it worse without realising I am.

I have physio lined up for the end of next week, I also have a dr appointment when I think I get the lovely cortisone jab, but in the meantime I have 2 weeks off work and would so love to spend time out there before the snow comes for real.
So should I run or not? anyone had this? and did you run?
Nov 2013
9:59pm, 8 Nov 2013
9,541 posts
  •  
ChrisHB
My experience of frozen shoulder is that running would be the very, very, very last thing I'd want to do. But I have no idea whether, if I managed to balance sufficiently to do something approximating to running, that would do any harm.
Nov 2013
10:09pm, 8 Nov 2013
11,268 posts
  •  
Puffing Bertie
I think i must only be a bit frozen then as i can move it approx 50 deg forwards and about 30 deg raised from the side, so when you run it probably doesnt flex more than 45 deg. As for putting my arm round the back...no chance!

Just seems such a waste of time off :-(

Best go and make cakes then ;-)
Nov 2013
10:15pm, 8 Nov 2013
28,043 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Running won't make it worse and if you can bear to run then it's OK to do so.
Nov 2013
10:28pm, 8 Nov 2013
4,122 posts
  •  
Trin
I've had frozen shoulder in both of mine... one after the other. I continued running, it was painful to start with but keeping the shoulder as mobile as you can bear does help, in my experience
Nov 2013
10:36pm, 8 Nov 2013
11,269 posts
  •  
Puffing Bertie
perfect thanks ladies, just the answer I was wanting :-)
Nov 2013
12:20am, 9 Nov 2013
818 posts
  •  
Revbarbarag
My sympathies, Bertie - and I'm glad you asked.

I saw a physio on Monday for what I described as preventive maintenance on my various niggles. One of these was my left shoulder - I've had some pain in this after overdoing pressups earlier this year, but even before that it wasn't as mobile as the other one. He told me I'm in the early stages of adhesive capsulitis, aka frozen shoulder. He corrected my technique for stretching the muscle at the back of the shoulder (I was holding my arm too low while doing it) - and also gave me an exercise to retain/increase external rotation of the shoulder and strengthen the relevant muscles - using a resistance band looped over a door handle.

The thing that confuses me slightly is that I came away with the impression that I could stave the frozen shoulder off by working on mobility and strength... but when I googled it, I read about a condition which comes with a lot of pain and severely limited mobility, which improves only gradually over a period of months/years.

So - this question is aimed at VRap really - can you stop a frozen shoulder in its tracks?
Nov 2013
12:54am, 9 Nov 2013
11,270 posts
  •  
Puffing Bertie
I hope and think you can stop it in its tracks using cortisone, sometimes Rev but im sure Vrap will confirm, hope so.

I think the cortisone can work but not always, if it does, it works well and you can get some if not all the movement back, but also sometimes it doesnt work which would be very annoying, not looking forward to that bit :-( but if it works I will be happy :-)

Anyway ive been planning my run, assuming it doesnt stay too cold tonight, my shoulder is worse in the cold cos I tense all the muscles surrounding it. So fingers crossed and if its -2 like they predict I will have a go on the treadmill :-)

Hope your shoulder doesnt get any worse and improves quickly.
Nov 2013
12:58am, 9 Nov 2013
19,007 posts
  •  
Maclennane
if your shoulders are frozen, a fuse might result in a bang with a bang-go
Nov 2013
1:04am, 9 Nov 2013
19,008 posts
  •  
Maclennane
sorry

About This Thread

Maintained by Puffing Bertie
I have a frozen shoulder and i want to know if running will make it worse. It hurts all the time so ...