Welcome To Fetcheveryone

Our awesome training log doesn't hide its best features behind a paywall. Search thousands of events, get advice, play games, measure routes, and more! Join our friendly community of runners, cyclists, and swimmers.
Click here to get started
Already a Fetchie? Sign in here

from lapsed...to marathon??

1 watcher
Sep 2014
1:08am, 13 Sep 2014
915 posts
StringSideUp
Hi, I'm back after a couple of years of lapsedness and am wondering how stupid would it be to aim for a March marathon? Will i have any slight residual fitness whatsoeer from previous years of running, including four marathons? A new off-road mara is being organised in my town and this is making me want to get back to running - I'd love to run the inaugural one which is seven months away but am I just being silly... Thanks for any advice!
Sep 2014
7:44am, 13 Sep 2014
12477 posts
Derby Tup
Sounds a great target to me! Loads of folk train for the London off very little starting in late autumn through Christmas and not only get round but get hooked too. Off-road will probably be less formal than a typical road race. Good luck! :-)
Sep 2014
8:16am, 13 Sep 2014
916 posts
StringSideUp
Thanks, that's encouraging! So maybe I'm not totally nuts. It's off-road and taking in the five worst hills so I think a bit like Beachy Head - no shame in walking the ups!
Sep 2014
8:20am, 13 Sep 2014
11888 posts
GimmeMedals
I did my first marathon a year after starting from scratch, with absolutey no fitness when I started. I was a bit laxidaisical with training too and still got round so you'll be fine :-)
Sep 2014
8:21am, 13 Sep 2014
30823 posts
Velociraptor
Welcome back, SSU :) With your running history, provided you're starting off uninjured and in good health you should be fine.
Sep 2014
10:00am, 13 Sep 2014
5690 posts
becca7
Sounds like a nice thing to aim for SSU. You know what you need to do, having done previous maras, so you should be fine. :)
Sep 2014
1:46pm, 13 Sep 2014
917 posts
StringSideUp
thanks all! okay I'm really doing this. right then, the next thing to do is actually go for a little 3 mile run and see what happens...

Got something to say?

To contribute to the discussion, you need to either sign in or register as a user.

About This Thread

Maintained by StringSideUp
Hi, I'm back after a couple of years of lapsedness and am wondering how stupid would it be to aim f...