From half to full marathon in 12 months

2 watchers
Mar 2013
11:38am, 20 Mar 2013
21 posts
  •  
biggus_richus
I completed my first half marathon this past weekend, and I've got my eye on completing a full marathon in a year's time - thinking London or Brighton at the moment. I'm also still classified as overweight, by about a stone, so ideally, I'd like to maintain and build on my current fitness AND get my weight down a bit. I've lost around half a stone while training, although that was mainly put on over Christmas.

I completed the Great South Run in October and followed a ten week training plan prior to the half marathon, which went along the lines of:
Monday, Friday - REST (would sometimes go to the gym to row/weights)
Tuesday, Thursday - 30 - 40 minute recovery run
Wednesday - intervals of varying number/duration at threshold pace + 10 min warm up/down
Saturday - Hills
Sunday - long run, which over the weeks went (in mins) 90-90-95-105-120-120-120-80-60-RACE!

I kept to the plan reasonably well, although missed out on a few of the hill sessions. Absolutely made sure I did the long run every week though. I only joined Fetch in February, so my training log starts from around week 7 of the plan.

I'm not sure how to progress from here, whether to stick to this pattern, or cut back from 5 runs a week and mix in more weight training. My local parkrun is a 3 mile jog/cycle away and I'd be happy to build it in to my routine. Some more half marathons would also be good and maybe even a 20 later on, but unsure as to how frequently.

From what I've read on Fetch, I think I need to SLOW DOWN as I'm doing recovery and long runs at my race pace (8:50 - 9), and often faster, but any advice would be gratefully received - the only plans I've seen online seem to last for 12/16/18 weeks.
Mar 2013
11:49am, 20 Mar 2013
18,515 posts
  •  
BigChiefRunningBore
Any minute someone will say 'build your base miles' which is a good idea. review in six months. Don't try VLM choose a nice marathon.
Mar 2013
11:55am, 20 Mar 2013
15,371 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
I would say just do what you enjoy. A marathon in 12 months gives you six months to see how you feel. Build your fitness if you want. Do some more races, do some cycling, lower your weight gradually and sustainably.
Then in October see where you are and how you feel.
You wont get in to VLM or Brighton, but there are lots of other races that are quite possibly better which will allow you to make a decision when you are ready, rather than force you to commit when you are a year out.
Mar 2013
9:31pm, 20 Mar 2013
809 posts
  •  
Ninky Nonk
Why not join a club?

As above don't worry about a marathon for now, have fun, enjoy the other distances.

Well done on doing the half.
Mar 2013
9:40pm, 20 Mar 2013
11,415 posts
  •  
*jono*
yes course you can complete a marathon - just run, there's not much else to it really, you gradually build up base mileage, strength and stamina - but yes pick a nice marathon not that fun run in that there london town
Mar 2013
9:42pm, 20 Mar 2013
47,811 posts
  •  
plodding hippo
Course you can do it
Johnny O speaks sense
happy birthday Johnny
Mar 2013
8:58am, 21 Mar 2013
24 posts
  •  
biggus_richus
Thanks for your responses. Possibly raised more questions than answered though.

So the consensus is, for the time being, just run and run further? Should I be worrying about the type of running or pace at all?
Mar 2013
10:28pm, 22 Mar 2013
814 posts
  •  
Ninky Nonk
running.competitor.com
Mar 2013
1:17pm, 23 Mar 2013
916 posts
  •  
Hackett
You can do that. I had never run more than a 10k when I started running. I started training in the Oct and by Feb was doing HM then did London in the April. Many will have similar stories.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by biggus_richus
I completed my first half marathon this past weekend, and I've got my eye on completing a full mara...