Free Running Events. 2 scoring 'Races' (Nottingham and Peak District)and lots of guided trail runs in the Peaks.

2 watchers
Apr 2022
11:13am, 4 Apr 2022
118 posts
  •  
olde english
We've (youlgrave harriers and Erewash Valley RC) have just listed 2 free score orienteering style events. Everything you'd expect from a race, leaderboards etc...but free.

1 is Peak district based in Youlgrave the other is between Nottingham and Derby around Erewash (Sandiacre, Stanton by Dale, Dale Abbey DE7).
Youlgrave Harriers also do regulars guided trail runs around the peaks also for no fee.
Have a peruse and tell your friends. The more people see what you can do for £0 the more stuff people put on for £0 is my theory.

Lots of info here for Peak district youlgraveharriers.com
and here for Erewash evrc.co.uk .
Entry is open as of ....now.
all explained on the webpages but to save you a click....

What:

The Pom is based upon a score orienteering style event using the free iOrienteering app. The idea is to score as many points as possible by visiting as many virtual GPS control locations as possible within a set time limit (2 hours). When you pass within 20 metres of the control point the app will log it as complete. These controls may be visited in any order and are set up in a selected area but in a random manner. A visible point value is assigned to each control according to its distance from the start/finish or difficulty of location. The start is a fixed point and so is the finish. You must start at the start and finish at the finish. For every minute you go over the time limit you will lose 3 points.

Whoever has the most points at close of play is the winner. If its level on points, quickest wins.

A PDF map is provided when you enter detailing the full area of play, but it won't have the control points on (start and finish in Youlgrave / Sandiacre will be marked). 24 hours prior to the event opening a further map will be released with all the control points marked. You then have the duration of the event window to have a go at the route. You can have multiple go’s over the event time frame.
Apr 2022
11:27am, 4 Apr 2022
119 posts
  •  
olde english
also think it'd be rather cool to see a Fetcheveryone team entering
Apr 2022
1:49pm, 6 Apr 2022
41,949 posts
  •  
HappyG(rrr)
Orienteering is so cool. Navigation and adventuring with run fun too. I am hoping to try some local events (whatever the lowest level is - Orange?) to try and get my hand / eye / brain / legs in. :-) G
Apr 2022
2:07pm, 7 Apr 2022
124 posts
  •  
olde english
never really played before until i spotted an event pop in my area. looked in a little more detail and set something up to test and it was really good fun running round in circles figuring out quickest route to get the most points. and no need to do paid events as its simple to set up your own events. :) though letting people know about said free events..identical to paid events is something else.
D2
Apr 2022
12:22pm, 11 Apr 2022
12,303 posts
  •  
D2
I've sent the link to my son and DiL who may well be interested. thanks for the heads up. :)

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by olde english
We've (youlgrave harriers and Erewash Valley RC) have just listed 2 free score orienteering style events. Everything you'd expect from a race, leaderboards etc...but free.

1 is Peak district based in Youlgrave the other is between Nottingham and Derby around Erewash (Sandiacre, Stanton by Dale, Dale Abbey DE7).
Youlgrave Harriers also do regulars guided trail runs around the peaks also for no fee.
Have a peruse and tell your friends. The more people see what you can do for £0 the...