For the bored - Amir’s Marathons

17 watchers
Jul 2020
1:08pm, 13 Jul 2020
6,833 posts
  •  
paul the builder
I'm not a strava expert (although I did register to see what this bloke is claiming :-) ).
Why might he not sync that WW? Is that the whole "elapsed time" issue he's worked around there?
Jul 2020
1:13pm, 13 Jul 2020
11,500 posts
  •  
larkim
Not everyone is sufficiently au fait with the need / ability to connect strava to Garmin Connect I suppose.

Let's face it, if his stride length is really short, but he has been doing 4-5 hours of 50,000 steps per day he's probably acquired a decent level of stamina. A 6 hour marathon would fit about right with that level of accumulation, and match up with his stride length.

I'm sure, like others before, he's fooled himself into thinking he's doing somethng when he's not really, then publicised it and discovered the level of scrutiny means he has to either front it out or admit that what he thought he was doing was actually just a misunderstanding.

Plus the aim is laudable - raise funds. He's not trying to post a FKT to cross a continent or anything similar.
Jul 2020
1:44pm, 13 Jul 2020
4,711 posts
  •  
Windsor Wool
I'm really not sure PtB. It just opens up a series of other questions doesn't it, with elapsed time being the most obvious.

I'm sure you're right lark, he's having to front it out having got in a bit too deep. While I stopped short of saying well done, or you're a legend, my comment was genuine and very, very polite. To block someone just because they know what they are talking about makes it all the more disingenuous.

It's like the guy who was on Twitter who had one of those curved treadmills who for months went on about how he was setting near world record times based on the mph stats he was getting. Even the manufacturers came on in the end saying they only did km/h on their treadmills but he kept on saying it. He gave in in the end and I remember sending him a really heartfelt message saying how brave he'd been to admit it.

So, I genuinely feel sorry for this guy but he's cemented my view of him as a complete fraud. I think being a runner and understanding what it might be like to run 1*100 mpw (and not even the n*250 mpw he claims) makes it all the more grating.
Jul 2020
2:05pm, 13 Jul 2020
1,379 posts
  •  
Paul N
Adharanand Finn had a chapter in "the Rise of the Ultrarunner" which feels very similar. Currently on Spotify -

open.spotify.com
Jul 2020
2:47pm, 20 Jul 2020
6,848 posts
  •  
paul the builder
Did I miss something? He's done one outside (slowly) as above. And nothing since 11 July?

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Totriornottotri
Some on Twitter has a theory!

https://youtu.be/hazBvRKqY_U

Thread by @DullRunning: Coffee tab...