FOOTBALL

158 watchers
May 2020
12:08pm, 27 May 2020
16,540 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
SurelyNot - I think it is touch and go. Despite the rivalry I do have some sympathy for the position Hearts are in. However the chances are Hearts would have finished bottom two if the season was played out.

The problem as I see it though is that there is no ideal solution and there will be winners and losers from whichever path is taken. Hearts stand to be the biggest losers at present, but any solution that softens the blow means that other clubs are giving something up to achieve that.

I do feel that Budge has approached the problem in the wrong way and has alienated other clubs rather than tried to build bridges which may have helped us to find a solution.

I also dont think the SPFL have handled the situation very well with some Cummings type trying to argue their way out of situations rather than being open and honest. I dont see any of the supposed corruption, just people who believed they were doing the right thing but made some errors along the way.

Bottom line for me is I want to be able to return to games and most importantly have the opportunity to beat Hearts again. Preferably pretty soon in the postponed scottish cup semi final
May 2020
12:25pm, 27 May 2020
26,895 posts
  •  
Wriggling Snake
They should merge city and United up here in Manc...they all eat Prawn Sarnies now...and all hide when they get beat in the time honoured fashion.
May 2020
12:32pm, 27 May 2020
16,541 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
Just been reading a bit more about the Hearts proposal and the implications in 2 years time when we revert back to the current set up will lead to potential mass relegations makes the proposal unworkable.

If the message is that most lower league clubs cannot compete until we are fully back to normal with paying punters then I think a solution would be to have a one year top division only maybe with expanded clubs. However although that season will have a winner and allocate european places, when the league can fully resume, then we go with the teams as they would have been at end of the just finished season. Not an ideal solution either admittedly
May 2020
12:36pm, 27 May 2020
4,383 posts
  •  
trumpton riots
It makes sense to have "London ", Midlands, Merseyside, Manchester etc.
May 2020
12:59pm, 27 May 2020
26,897 posts
  •  
Wriggling Snake
No Arsenal, Hotshite + any other place
May 2020
1:15pm, 27 May 2020
6,478 posts
  •  
bigleggy
Chief - but to the true Wimbledon fan, the AFC club is Wimbledon. They've even got Plough Lane back (or some facsimile of it)

Dunno who lays claim to their FA Cup win but the most important fact to remember is they beat Liverpool to win it :-)
May 2020
1:48pm, 27 May 2020
1,731 posts
  •  
Surelynot
Bazo - don't disagree with what you say but the survival of the game in Scotland is at stake and member organisations taking decisions that are to the detriment of members at this time is the point I keep coming back to.

I reckon fans would welcome an expanded top flight on a permanent basis - but when are fans ever listened to?

I too look forward to the cup semi-final as well. We've a pretty good record there recently against Hibs with a 9-1 aggregate score if I'm correct ;)
May 2020
2:07pm, 27 May 2020
16,544 posts
  •  
Bazoaxe
It doesn’t matter what decision is made though. Some clubs will lose out whichever way we go. Hearts at present are the club most impacted but want others to take a hit to protect them !!

I don’t really think there is a case for an expanded league and we would have too many meaningless games. I am not a fan of the split either. The big problem we have is a huge gulf between the top two and the rest. That’s the problem we need to tackle.

On a less serious note. That 9-1 aggregate was only achieved through funnily enough spending other people’s money. Oh and a quite awful refereeing performance as well.
May 2020
2:31pm, 27 May 2020
29,330 posts
  •  
Hendo
Neither AFCW nor Franchise FC lay claim to the '88 FA Cup, although morally it belongs to AFCW of course.
May 2020
2:51pm, 27 May 2020
6,479 posts
  •  
bigleggy
The AFCW fan I know would certainly agree Hendo

About This Thread

Maintained by Diogenes
Ah, the beautiful game, remember that? Let's put down some jumpers and have a socially-distanced kickabout. Long shots only, and no hugging and kissing.