Foot injury

2 watchers
Feb 2012
1:41pm, 12 Feb 2012
56 posts
  •  
trebormint
I am experiencing a pain across the top of my foot, about 5 cm back from second smallest toe. It hurts after running for a couple of days if I walk around bare foot (something I normally do) but it is okay if I wear something. I did a 3 mile track session on Thursday and didn't feel it, but about half way into my long run this morning it started to ache. By the end of the run it was a little bit painful, as was the ankle, but that was probably the distance on the latter.

My GP said it was just a generic strain of something in my foot and to rest it. After it being okay on Thursday I wasn't overly concerned, but I am after today's run. I'm going to rest it for a couple of weeks, but the temptation to continue my VLM training will be great. I'll try and get some bike work in - hopefully this doesn't cause my problems.

Anyone else had this problem?

Thank in advance for any input.
Feb 2012
10:18am, 16 Feb 2012
7,186 posts
  •  
Keefy Beefy
I'm not an expert but I had a pain over the top of my foot once and it was caused by having my shoes done up too tightly. I was convinced I'd broken my foot and that's all it was in the end!

Maybe someone with more expertise will advise?
Feb 2012
3:44pm, 16 Feb 2012
2,963 posts
  •  
SharonD
I would miss out the first hole. (toe end) of your shoe when lacing, also wiggle your toes a bit when you run, you may be subconsciously scrunching or flexing them which will create tension when you get back massage between your toes and separate them.
Mar 2012
11:41am, 3 Mar 2012
58 posts
  •  
trebormint
I rested it for a week and it has died down a fair amount. It is still not completely right but for the moment, and this probably the kiss of death, it is ok. I'm making sure that I don't have my laces too tight!
Mar 2012
1:20pm, 3 Mar 2012
620 posts
  •  
Ian M
The laces too tight thing is dead easy to do and you sort of get used to it without realising. I call it boiling frog syndrome. Best to get in the habit of loosening laces after every run and tying them snug at the top yet quite loose all the way up.

Where the pain is situated could be many things from laces too tight , to Morton's Neuroma to stress fracture so I'd be quite careful and monitor it if I were you.
Another thing lots of people do is buy shoes that are too small for them believe it or not! Worth checking all these things. Also what socks do you wear? Would you be better trying different ones. Lots of stuff to give a try and mull over.

Good luck and happy running!
Mar 2012
1:22pm, 3 Mar 2012
621 posts
  •  
Ian M
Oh and then there's technique issues. Common one is people tend to lever up on the metatarsal heads but that's usually on met number 2. Always best to try and relax the feet and not run up high on toes.
Mar 2012
1:02pm, 6 Mar 2012
30 posts
  •  
Wintee
I've had a similar pain in my foot this week while running. It's fine when I'm not running.
I'm hoping it'll just go away. I guess it could be that the shoes are too tight. I like them fairly snug and tend to forget that on long runs your feet do swell up at least half a shoe size.
Mar 2012
9:55pm, 6 Mar 2012
59 posts
  •  
trebormint
Obviously I googled the symptons and found out I only had a couple of hours on the planet! Well actually I concluded that it could be Morton's Neuroma as I had started experiencing it after wearing some shoes that were too tight. But thankfully it seems to be going now (touches head/wood) - I managed a half marathon 8 days ago with no problems.

Trainers are a size bigger than usual, well not quite because I find Adidas are a little smaller so it is more like 3/4 larger, but I've been wearing that size for a while now.

Thanks to everyone for their comments.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by trebormint
I am experiencing a pain across the top of my foot, about 5 cm back from second smallest toe. It hur...