Fluid during marathon?

2 watchers
Jun 2014
9:08pm, 27 Jun 2014
3,526 posts
  •  
Watford Wobble
I made the mistake thinking I need drink 'loadz' during and prior to a marathon. Experience has shown about circa 300 ml during a warm marathon at the most.
Jun 2014
8:20am, 28 Jun 2014
636 posts
  •  
mblnFERCr
How do you digest your gels then? Without water they won't cross your stomach barrier....
Jun 2014
9:14am, 28 Jun 2014
30,019 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Gels aren't an issue for me. I don't use them, and have never had a situation arise in a marathon where I've thought, "I could do with a gel."

But yes, if you use gels you need to drink enough to allow them to be absorbed.
FR
Jun 2014
9:37am, 28 Jun 2014
1,863 posts
  •  
FR
Last night I was out for around 3:35 and drank about a litre.

Took three gels. One every hour. This morning feel slightly dehydrated.

But I'm a big unit and sweat like a fat lad in a chip shop.
Jun 2014
9:39am, 28 Jun 2014
10,986 posts
  •  
Ultracat
I Don't use gels either and tend to take sips of water during a marathon, I don't bother for anything shorter unless it's a warm day. Probably drink about a medium glass of water in all. If I drink to much I just end up needing the loo.
Jun 2014
10:24am, 28 Jun 2014
875 posts
  •  
jacdaw
I used to use gels and sports drinks, but they seem to stop me absorbing water, so I seemed to end up carrying a lot of water in my stomach. Sloshing.

Not helpful.
FR
Jun 2014
10:43am, 28 Jun 2014
1,865 posts
  •  
FR
SiS gels really seem to work for me. Although I did try a maxifuel viper gel with no adverse effects, unlike ghastly Luzocade gels, yuk!!!
Jun 2014
11:34am, 28 Jun 2014
2,333 posts
  •  
Curly45
I also don't take gels. I chewed a shot block once, but spat it out. Yuck! I have still never tried a gel...they look disgusting. I train on empty generally, so I have a very early breakkie on marathon day and that seems to see me through.

I don't feel dehydrated on finishing, a bit thirsty, but am usually fine an hour later. Hungry, but fine. The day after a big race I eat like a horse mind!
FR
Jun 2014
11:41am, 28 Jun 2014
1,866 posts
  •  
FR
Sad but true I love the taste of the SiS gels with the huge exception of the caffeinated ones. They are disgusting.

During training I never eat prior to a run and for upto two hours don't take anything with me.
Jun 2014
11:50am, 28 Jun 2014
30,025 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
I like Shot Bloks, but that's because they're cubes of sweet jelly and I've got the palate of a toddler. But I'm getting through fewer and fewer of them because I've broken the habit of popping one in my mouth at the start of a run or carrying a couple with me in case I get grumpy and need sweetening up.

About This Thread

Maintained by
I know it depends on how much you weigh, sweat etc but roughly how much should you drink during a fo...