Fluid during marathon?
8:38pm, 29 Jun 2014
Molesy"in case I get grumpy and need sweetening up"
8:55pm, 29 Jun 2014
BazoaxeI did 20 miles today in about 2:50. Pre run I had poridge and a pint of water.....managed 15.5 miles before I stooped at a shop for a drink and to be honest I could have managed the run without it, but felt I should take some liquid on board just in case.
In years gone by I would have 2-3 gels ,jelly babies and have taken 500ml water with me which I topped up on route.
12:03am, 30 Jun 2014
NutkeyLast time I did a marathon I probably drank most of a cup every 5K - so say 700ml in 3 hours or thereabouts. On a 5hr fell run I drank 500ml and this was woefully insufficient (but the only likely stream I found had a rotting sheep in!).
10:37am, 30 Jun 2014
Judithvr6as said, it can depend on so many variables but just because some people are managing to run without much, or with lots... the real question is what is the right amount for you / the conditions to run your optimal pace?
You can certainly finish a race without much fluid but you may have ran better with the right hydration.
It's all a matter of learning how your body works best by lots of trial and error.. hopefully the errors are never too bad.
- Odd hydration vest / water bladder question Dec 2023
- whot u drinking now ! Aug 2023
- Which Hydration bladder for an OMM Last Drop 10? Sep 2021
- Home made recovery drink Jun 2021
- Edinburgh Meadows 5K Monday nights this June and July Jan 2021
- Reusable/collapsible water cups Aug 2020
- Amount of salt to put in some water for a long run Jul 2020
- Inov-8 hydration bladder - how to get all water out and store it? May 2020
- Going Long - What's in your picnic? *bike* Feb 2020
- Advanced Sweat Testing Jan 2020
Buy a Fetch buff
Order now for immediate dispatch!
Join us in 2024 for a part-virtual, part-gathering endurance event to celebrate 20 years of Fetcheveryone!
See all your training overlaid on one interactive map. A great way to remember everywhere you've been
Race Listings League
Which Fetchies have done the most to make our race listings as awesome as they are?