Flu Virus, when to start running again?

2 watchers
Dec 2018
7:26am, 28 Dec 2018
First-time poster!!
  •  
iain_trails.n.ultras
Colds and viruses are bouncing around this time of year. General rule if thumb (apparently) head cold you can run and anything below the neck don't run! Fair comment or not?
Dec 2018
7:32am, 28 Dec 2018
12,535 posts
  •  
Ultracat
Last time I had proper flu I could hardly get out of bed so any type of excercise was out. Being a fairly cautious person I would do short brisk walks before attempting any running. I would say listen to your body, everyone is different.
Dec 2018
8:28am, 28 Dec 2018
2,017 posts
  •  
Fellrunning
Illness is just another sort of injury. You wouldn't run if you were injured would you?

I'd say that if you have to ask yourself about it you probably shouldn't.
Dec 2018
9:36am, 28 Dec 2018
1,075 posts
  •  
SailorSteve
Hey iain welcome to fetch👍

The “below the neck” thing has always worked for me.
Dec 2018
10:45am, 28 Dec 2018
2,018 posts
  •  
Fellrunning
I should add that when I say illness I'm talking about acute illness like colds, flu like virus etc,. I'm aware that those of us with chronic conditions understand them well enough to know our limitations when it comes to training/competing.
Dec 2018
10:50am, 28 Dec 2018
40,104 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
Above OR below the neck, don't try to run if your temperature's up or you feel like shit. It's not worth it.
Dec 2018
10:21pm, 28 Dec 2018
17,020 posts
  •  
Dvorak
"You wouldn't run if you were injured would you?"

Er, Fellrunning, where on earth did you get that kind of notion :-p ?

My own benchmarks are "Do I feel terrible?" "Can I breathe properly?" "Ok, or a bit, at least?" Which hasn't been that sensible and this year in particular I was knocked back considerably when apparently headed foursquare for recovery.
Dec 2018
10:25pm, 28 Dec 2018
32,237 posts
  •  
Lip Gloss
I have had the most annoying chesty cough for the last month but I find when I'm running it doesn't bother me so it must be the fresh air helping. If you feel ill or terrible then don't run.
Dec 2018
7:02am, 29 Dec 2018
3,525 posts
  •  
jdarun
When I had flu a couple of years ago, it was certainly a couple of weeks before I was up to running, and then only gently.

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by iain_trails.n.ultras
Colds and viruses are bouncing around this time of year. General rule if thumb (apparently) head col...