Flu jab

3 watchers
Oct 2012
8:18am, 19 Oct 2012
12,974 posts
  •  
DeeGee
So, lucky me, my boss has offered all of us a free flu jab. Wanting to keep running throughout the winter, I gladly accepted, so got a needle jabbed into my left bicep yesterday afternoon.

I wasn't told I shouldn't run, so I went out last night with the full intention of running just 8 miles with a bit of tempo. Could not, for the life of me, get up to anything above marathon pace, so jogged round instead.

Ran to work today, as usual, normally takes 36 minutes for the 4 and a bit miles. Took me almost 40 today.

Is that the aftermath of the flu jab, or am I just overtrained? I am recovering from a fast marathon, but I spanked out some decent speedwork on Tuesday.
Oct 2012
8:38pm, 19 Oct 2012
1,047 posts
  •  
crooked-smile
Possibly a combination but I'm pretty sure the flu jab knocks you out for a few days, so probably mostly that!
Oct 2012
8:39pm, 19 Oct 2012
13,953 posts
  •  
JohnnyO
Is it that time of year already?
:)
Nov 2012
1:12pm, 22 Nov 2012
1,159 posts
  •  
WobblingTime
Not quite the usual 'will my flu jab make me poorly' question for you: I have my flu jab booked this evening but I was also planning a run. So why not combine both and run to and from the surgery? Will running immediately after the flu jab be ok? I've never had any major reactions to one before, other than the super speedy one I had during the Bird flu outbreak, which made me a bit dizzy (well, dizzier than normal) for a couple of minutes.

Thank you fetchies x
Nov 2012
1:14pm, 22 Nov 2012
6,704 posts
  •  
Mrs Winkle
No, it won't be the 'flu jab, it doesn't make you ill. I reckon you're just knackered.
Nov 2012
1:15pm, 22 Nov 2012
966 posts
  •  
wiener dog
The flu jab is not a live vaccine ( ie does not infect you with any flu germs ) so if you feel ill/off after it it's usually coincidental. I've been having them for about 10 years and have run afterwards ( same day ) and raced ( next day ) and had no side effects except for a sore achy arm.
Nov 2012
1:15pm, 22 Nov 2012
640 posts
  •  
leyburnrunner
had the jab last year and didn't affect me at all, at all.
Nov 2012
1:17pm, 22 Nov 2012
1,160 posts
  •  
WobblingTime
That's great, thanks. What I was asking is will I be ok to run immediately after the jab?
Nov 2012
1:24pm, 22 Nov 2012
967 posts
  •  
wiener dog
Should be WT I have and had no ill effect.
Nov 2012
2:30pm, 22 Nov 2012
23,151 posts
  •  
JenL
I've never had the flu jab, DeeGee and I'm tired most of the time and have never reached anything approaching marathon pace. Yes, I realise this is a less than helpful contribution but thought I might be able to act as the "control" in our study :-)

About This Thread

Maintained by DeeGee
So, lucky me, my boss has offered all of us a free flu jab. Wanting to keep running throughout the w...