•  
GregP
Is what, please?
Dec 2013
6:08pm, 21 Dec 2013
1,328 posts
  •  
Winded
It is a gadget designed to be worn as a bracelet like swatch. It collects data on movement - how many steps a day etc. This is then analysed with a phone app or on a PC. The idea is that it helps with weight loss and fitness, a friend of mine uses one to help with his weight loss target. What it isn't is a GPS or something that measures distance/athletic activity in avery meaningful way. I think it can gather various bits of data from posh bathroom scales if you have the right kind.

I wouldn't want one, I am at the fatter & less afletic end of the fetch spectrum but I'd still rather have a Garmin; it tells me how slowly I am going which is depressing but useful.
Dec 2013
6:29pm, 21 Dec 2013
71,597 posts
  •  
GregP
The brief thing in a magazine articackle MrsO showed me suggested it did something clever with sleep tracking, which is what caught my attention.
Dec 2013
7:01pm, 21 Dec 2013
1,329 posts
  •  
Winded
Well it is basically a pedometer ( or at least an accelerometer) with software attached so I imagine it can measure sleep - after a fashion. How long you sleep and how many times you wake up but perhaps not the quality of the sleep (unless you thrash about during nightmares) I think they are quite popular but I'd want to be quite clear about what aspects of sleep are being measured and what it is that I want to know. There is probably a relationship between what it measures and sleep quality but it does not measure sleep quality - as far as I know anyway.

My friend really likes his, it seems like a really good tool but like any tool it has to be the right one for the job. If I didn't bike or run or swim and wanted to monitor how active I was I'd give serious thought to getting one.
Dec 2013
7:48pm, 21 Dec 2013
2,857 posts
  •  
longboat
I have the Fitbit one through a work thing - same as the flex, but without the wrist band.

In terms of sleep, it purely measures the movement during the night so all the time you are still is good sleep, and movement not.

Interesting to see, but the novelty wore off for me after a few days
Dec 2013
7:55pm, 21 Dec 2013
3,822 posts
  •  
CC2 Speedy Goth
I got a fitbit one with my Amazon vouchers. I was primarily interested in the sleep tracking. It only arrived yesterday so can't give much feedback, but apparently last night I woke twice and experienced 8 periods of restlessness. I slept for 7 hours and 42 minutes.

I wore it for my 15 mile run this morning and it claimed I'd only covered 20km, so not accurate for activity measurement.
Dec 2013
9:18pm, 21 Dec 2013
1,134 posts
  •  
Wintryfree Wonderland
I did quite a bit of research and the flex got a much lower rating than the Fitbit One - so I got one of those with my Natwest points. I'm happy with it, let's me track everything fairly seamlessly.
.B.
Dec 2013
9:23pm, 21 Dec 2013
8,323 posts
  •  
.B.
My Mum had a fit it and found it really motivational for getting out and walking every day then uploading the stuff and doing challenges etc
Dec 2013
9:37pm, 21 Dec 2013
1,359 posts
  •  
snooowandsleddy
I have a fitbit one, I soon stopped using it to track my sleep, it's not that accurate - it thinks you're asleep if you're lying still, so I was having to keep remembering to move, to tell it I was still awake! But I always wear it during the day, and it's very accurate regarding mileage, I wear my Garmin on runs, and it always corresponds with the mileage on the fitbit. It's seeing how many miles I walk during work, and it motivates me to get out and have a walk, if I haven't managed the 5 miles a day it recommends.
Dec 2013
12:39pm, 22 Dec 2013
71,601 posts
  •  
GregP
Sounds good for Sue's friend at work. Seems I'm note after a specific sleep monitor gadget. Any recommendations?

About This Thread

Maintained by GregP
Is what, please?