FishEveryone: the Fetchland swimming wire

95 watchers
Oct 2022
7:28pm, 24 Oct 2022
9,222 posts
  •  
Northern Exile
I am a *terrible* kicker and really hated the kick drills. My biggest breakthrough came when I realised I swam much better if I hardy kicked at all.

Some people can get away with that LN. Us sinky-leg types have to work at it unfortunately!
Oct 2022
10:37am, 25 Oct 2022
25,414 posts
  •  
Angus Clydesdale
is it not the case that only a small percentage of our forward motion comes from the legs? Unless you're a SwimSmooth "Kicktastic" of course The primary goal of that kick is to keep your legs and hips up in the correct position.

They reckon ~10%. The rest is chest, back and some triceps
jda
Oct 2022
2:27pm, 25 Oct 2022
13,614 posts
  •  
jda
I'm much faster with a pull buoy than kicking, and can pretty much get away with arms-only in a (thick) wetsuit, in which case I'm not too embarrassingly slow. My strategy is to avoid normal swimming in indoor pools as much as possible :-)
Oct 2022
11:58am, 28 Oct 2022
25,423 posts
  •  
Angus Clydesdale
Has you all seen (nota)Lord F's latest blog? Looks Epic! :)

xwing
Oct 2022
11:58am, 28 Oct 2022
25,424 posts
  •  
Angus Clydesdale
fetcheveryone.com/blog/3
Oct 2022
12:07pm, 28 Oct 2022
8,801 posts
  •  
KatieB
I’ve seen it. 🙃

I’ve been working on a two beat kick when I’m OWS in wettie. It seems to suit me. Had some coaching at CLS and it helped me understand it a bit more. Need to look at more YouTube stuff though.
Oct 2022
12:12pm, 28 Oct 2022
25,425 posts
  •  
Angus Clydesdale
Proper 2-beat (as opposed to lazily wafting legs ;) ) is quite hard to master, but the folks I know that do it well are all really good OW swimmers and it suits them very nicely.
Oct 2022
3:08pm, 31 Oct 2022
828 posts
  •  
CasB
Hello fishy Fetchies, could I ask some advice please? I've started getting back into swimming regularly and am wondering whether some lessons might be good, and at what point. I'm confident in the water, very comfortable doing breast stroke up and down for ages, but want to improve my front crawl and hopefully do some OW next year.

I'm doing some drills from the Swim Smooth book but am probably getting all sorts of things wrong and am very slow, so would quite like some expert input. But should I aim to build a bit more endurance first (it's still feeling very much like hard work and I need to pause at the end of each 33M length to get my breath back), or would some help with technique now also help with endurance? And are 1:1 sessions worth the extra money over a term of adult classes?

Thank you!
Jul 2023
9:12am, 20 Jul 2023
1,288 posts
  •  
The Pin Lady
Swimming goggles - I think I might have developed an allegy to mine - about 6-8 hours after using them, I get puffy skin under my eyes. I loosened them last night, thinking that perhaps I have had them on too tight but have woken up this morning looking like I have been in a fight!

Any recommendations for hypoallergenic prescription goggles please - or do you think a swim mask might help as it would be more on my cheekbone and brow?
Jul 2023
9:32am, 20 Jul 2023
146,882 posts
  •  
GregP
A mask is very hot in a pool. Just a thought.

About This Thread

Maintained by GregP
A bit of TI, a bit of SwimSmooth, a lot of Fetchie support, advice and bants

---

Thread Bookshop:
* The Swimming Drill Book: waterstones.com
* SwimSmooth: waterstones.com

Useful Links

FE accepts no responsibility for external links. Or anything, really.