First ultra - running pack advice

3 watchers
Sep 2016
9:39pm, 5 Sep 2016
14,012 posts
  •  
Gooner
Ok, so thanks to Foxy and his charity raffle a while back I've got entry into a 40 mile run in Wales starting at midnight in March of next year and having never run anywhere near that far before nor having any experience of running with anything but a bergen back in the day, I was hoping for some advice.

I know I'm going to need storage for the mandatory kit and food/drink but I'm completely at a loss with regards of what level of pack I'm going to need. I obviously want enough space but would also like to have the most compact kit I can. Money isn't exactly freeflowing for this but as I have time to save, I can spend what's necessary to get decent kit. So far I've eyed up the following, are they any good? Any other recommendations?

https://www.sportsshoes.com/product/sal1188/salomon-skin-pro-14-plus-3-set-running-pack-~-aw15/#

sportsshoes.com

sportsshoes.com

TIA.

G.
Sep 2016
9:49pm, 5 Sep 2016
15 posts
  •  
zolluppepe
Quite a range of sizes there, depending on the kit list you might struggle to fit it in a 5 or have it rattling around in a 14.

Both decent though, very popular. I had a similar Salomon Skin pack (too bouncy for me though) and sometimes use a 10L inov-8 Race Ultra (not a fan of the hydration system).

Best bet is to go somewhere you can try on a bunch, packed with mandatory kit. They're not exactly one size fits all :)
Sep 2016
10:24pm, 5 Sep 2016
20,382 posts
  •  
alpenrose
Someone posted a link to a video not very long ago of some guy packing all the necessary into a back pack that wasn't very big. Sorry, I'm no help otherwise.
Sep 2016
11:00pm, 5 Sep 2016
34,450 posts
  •  
Velociraptor
There is a video online of a man packing the mandatory kit for a 100-mile race into one of these ultramarathonrunningstore.com and I found this pack more than sufficient to hold everything I needed for an off-road 44-mile race last weekend as well as being very comfortable to run with. It's worth shopping around, as previous years' models are often heavily discounted.

I use 500ml soft flasks on the front rather than a hydration pack in the back as it has less impact on my centre of gravity.
Sep 2016
11:26pm, 5 Sep 2016
16 posts
  •  
zolluppepe
https://youtube.com/watch?v=URBDZC6C1vM

Here we go :)
Sep 2016
6:08am, 6 Sep 2016
9,962 posts
  •  
FenlandRunner
I've moved from Inov-8 to Montane, I have a Fang 5 for short ultras and a Dragon 20 for longer ultras.

Front loading bottles are brilliant.
Sep 2016
6:32am, 6 Sep 2016
14,014 posts
  •  
Gooner
Thanks folks, appreciating all of the knowledge. That video os quite helpful too!
Sep 2016
10:46pm, 6 Sep 2016
14,019 posts
  •  
Gooner
Any more advice from the endless knowledge contained in Fetchies?
Sep 2016
12:07pm, 10 Sep 2016
212 posts
  •  
Ndwdave
I've done a few ultras and the main choices seems to be the ultimate direction or salamon ones with a dusting of inov8. I've gone UD Scott Jurek 2.0. Has enough room for 100 miler kit but not too big so you fill it with crap.

I would recommend using front bottles rather than a bladder as bladders are a faff at aid stations and you don't know how much water you have left

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by Gooner
Ok, so thanks to Foxy and his charity raffle a while back I've got entry into a 40 mile run in Wale...