First time run in UNESCO World Heritage Site, Luang Prabang

2 watchers
Feb 2013
9:35am, 23 Feb 2013
First-time poster!!
  •  
Michael Gilmore
I know it's a long way from the UK, but Luang Prabang in Laos is a really special place - and I'm trying to organise a half marathon there this October. We've got approval from the local authorities, the first time ever, but we still need sponsors to pay for everything - and we do want sponsors to pay for everything so that runners can donate all their runner fees and more to local charities.

So, if you know a company that would like to get involved, or if you've got a friend in Asia who loves running - or if you'd like to come along yourself, please get in touch. Until our website is up, the best place is here: www.facebook.com/luangprabanghalfmarathon.

Thanks, and looking forward to hearing from you
Feb 2013
9:55am, 23 Feb 2013
10,242 posts
  •  
runner duck
I'm afraid I'm none of the above, but wow what a great thing to be organising!! good luck with it :)
Feb 2013
9:56am, 23 Feb 2013
10,243 posts
  •  
runner duck
oh, and welcome to fetch :)
Feb 2013
10:08am, 23 Feb 2013
2,809 posts
  •  
HermanBloom
Welcome :-) I can't do much more than forward the details to some running mates who are in Singapore, but I hope that this all works out for you. Sounds awesome :-)
Feb 2013
10:44am, 23 Feb 2013
5,356 posts
  •  
flip
Welcome to fetch & good luck with the race.
Feb 2013
11:15am, 23 Feb 2013
110 posts
  •  
p(h)ook
what are the entry costs?
Mar 2013
6:39am, 2 Mar 2013
2 posts
  •  
Michael Gilmore
Hi

Our aim is to have pay all the race costs through sponsorship. But to finish registering, runners will have to set up fundraising pages, and donate, either on their own or with friends, a minimum amount.

As travel to Luang Prabang is expensive, we think it would be unfair for all of us to spend thousands of dollars going there and leave nothing positive behind. That's why we're doing it this way...

If you check out the facebook page, there are more discussions of this there - and some of the local Lao charities we hope will benefit. And if you "like" the page, you'll be among the first to find out when the registration has opened.

Cheers
May 2013
10:54am, 4 May 2013
First-time poster!!
  •  
luang prabang 1/2
The date has changed but the race website is up!

We've had to move the race forward to Saturday morning for logistics - opening up Saturday evening for refuelling! That and more details - such as how to register on the new website: www.luangprabanghalfmarathon.com

Lots of details about the charity we'll be supporting too..

Join us if you can. Cheers

Got something to say?

To join the discussion, sign in or join us.

About This Thread

Maintained by fetcheveryone
I know it's a long way from the UK, but Luang Prabang in Laos is a really special place - and I'm ...